Author Topic: Mediacom is Hijacking HTTP Requests to Google and 404 Responses from Other Sites  (Read 26521 times)

MediacomChrisL

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thanks for your input!

Chris

mbhoag

• View Profile
So far things seem to be sticking at fixed (the prefs page shows me as opted in, strangely enough, but so long as I still get my 404s I don't dare touch it), so I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you guys, and the guys in the NOC, for your parts in getting this ugly matter resolved.

And now that most of the squeaky wheels seem to have been oiled, it seems like a good time to sit back, take a breath, and reflect on the matter.  To that end, I have some follow-up questions:

1. What was the problem?
2. What are you guys doing to ensure this never ever happens again?
3. Why should we continue to trust Mediacom with our internet connection, after you've demonstrated a blatant disregard for your customers by MITMing us in the first place?
4. What steps are you taking to ensure that customers who haven't complained, but who have not been able to successfully opt out, are also fixed?
5. Why, when upper management said "Hey, we should violate our customer's trust to show them ads! $$$ WOO!", was the NOC's response anything other than "No!" (or possibly "Hell no!")?

MediacomTom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I appreciate your inquisition on this subject, but seeing as this is proprietary information I will have to verify with management on what can be disclosed about this system.

I apologize for the delay.

mbhoag

• View Profile
I apologize for the delay.

No worries.  I wasn't really expecting an answer until Monday at the earliest anyway.  Really, I probably should have waited until Monday to bring it up.  (Asking hard-hitting questions on a Friday night?  Bit of a dick move on my part, so sorry about that.)

(Also: holy crap, it's Friday already?  Man, where'd that week go?)

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
(Also: holy crap, it's Friday already?  Man, where'd that week go?)

Good question. We should have an answer (to your other questions) the beginning of next week.

MediacomTom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
1) There were a few glitches that were corrected, but we cannot guarantee it will be without error as updates and changes are made in the future.

2) It was not our intention to force the redirects/404 without the ability to opt-out. This service is unlikely to be removed completely, but we will take action to correct any problems that negatively affect your service beyond what was intended.

3) We will continue to assist in any way we can. You are welcome to stay opted-out of these extra services, but we cannot make a guarantee similar services will not be implemented to enhance the average users internet experience in the future.

4) From what we are told the service has been corrected to date. We are only made aware that it is not working when customers bring it to our attention and it would generally need to be more than 1 example to be looked into beyond the single customer affected.

5) NOC really doesn't have much input on what services are available or unavailable, but are more directed to correcting network and data issues.

mbhoag

• View Profile
I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my questions.  To avoid discouraging future responses, I'm going to resist picking them apart, but I will say this much: while the answers are not particularly encouraging, they are enlightening.  (Sadly, not in a good way.)

I'm going to attempt one more argument for why you guys shouldn't be hijacking things at all, that you can pass up to management.  Which they'll probably ignore, but hey at least I tried.

Alice and Bob are good friends.  One day, Bob opens up a restaurant, and Alice gets to enjoy the first meal.  She loves it!

Later, Alice goes on vacation and sends Bob a postcard.  "Hey Bob!  How's the restaurant business going?  I miss the food and look forward to eating there again!  There's nothing quite like it out here--everything here tastes like chicken. :("

Bob writes back on a postcard of his own. "Thanks for asking, Alice.  Unfortunately, I had to close the restaurant.  It turns out the market for Soylent Green is significantly smaller than I expected."

Postman Pat reads Bob's response.  "Well, that's really too bad.  Alice was looking forward to eating there!  I'll cheer her up."  Pat covers Bob's response in white-out, then glues a two-for-one Chick-fil-A coupon where Bob's response used to be.  At the very bottom, Pat scribbles in nigh-unreadable chickenscratch, "Hope this helps!  --Pat"

Failing to notice Pat's chickenscratch, Alice is confused, unhappy, and hurt at Bob's mean joke.  Bob has no idea what she's talking about.

Man, what a dreary ending.  Let's make it happier.

Some time later, Alice's sister Suzy spots Pat's chickenscratch and sues Pat for tampering with the mail.  Pat objects to this, defending himself with "But Alice never told me not to!".  He is sentenced to 20 years hard labor.

There!  That's much better.

MediacomBill

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thank you for sharing. Senior management reviews the board so your opinion will be heard.

mmjrogers

• View Profile
Do you happen to know if senior management saw my little missive over here:
http://mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/forum/index.php?topic=1824.0

And perhaps noted its read count? They were the target of it.

MediacomMike

Senior management keeps a close eye on these forums as a whole.  I can assure you your thread was seen by them. 

SnuggleBunny

• View Profile
How so we opt-out of the DPI/highjacking? I have read all on it I can find & see it says to first opt out via the web site.... then instructions in another place to try after you opt out & to submit a ticket if your not fixed then.

I have searched & searched the mediacom website & cannot find an option to opt out & i also am sick of this junk. I get these constantly searching for things, or going to an invalid URL via link. I have had to call friends & have them go to website for me, just to see if it was me, or of the web site was down/not reachable etc.

Opt instructions please for Google chrome, firefox & IE. We use them all & all are affected.

MediacomBill

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thanks for the input.

SnuggleBunny

• View Profile
Thanks for the input.

My question was: How so we opt-out of the DPI/highjacking? Meaning via the website? I want to opt out of this junk, but no idea how, can't find it anywhere.

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
When you see the page below, there is a link at the bottom that says "opt out of this service." You can disable the search assist there.

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/mmjrogers/mediacom_hijackpage.jpg