Author Topic: Mediacom is hijacking my URL requests!!!  (Read 9653 times)

leaning_r

• View Profile
Re: Mediacom is hijacking my URL requests!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 10:43:44 PM »
I have tried all of the above.  It seems like I get a page from google then pulled ti the assist page with the following
I intentionally misspelled the search by typing "www.thahawkeye.com"  Correct spelling is "www.thehawkeye.com"

We did not find results for: http://www.google.com/search?q=www.thahawkeye.com&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=&oe=. Try the suggestions below or type a new query above
Search Results for "http://www.google.com/search?q=www.thahawkeye.com&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=&oe="

MediacomDan

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 07:24:31 AM »
Have you tried going to the www.mediacomtoday.com website and opting out there?

leaning_r

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 07:33:54 AM »
I did on the search page that comes up, upper right corner.
The www.mediacomtoday.com is confusing, looks like more advertising than anything else.
I did not see where to login or could not find any options there.

MediacomDan

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2011, 07:47:06 AM »
My mistake.  If you type something to get the redirect page, look at the bottom right-hand corner.  You should see The option to opt out there.  If you have already done it there, Opt back in and then opt out again.  This should fix the issue.

dj5

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 08:06:18 PM »
I opted out and it has reverted back.  Where is the link so I can opt out again?  How can this be stopped?

MediacomChrisL

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 08:30:13 PM »
A DNS change we made might have caused this, it shouldn't happen in the future. You can opt back out at the following address

http://search.mediacomcable.com/prefs.php

Thanks
Chris

Kouin

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 12:43:29 PM »
You know, this issue is still ongoing. Why does Mediacom INSIST on keeping this as a "feature"? This is a modified Yahoo Search, people could get the same or better result by using search engines like Yahoo or Google, which most standard browsers are now developed to auto-detect for search engine redirects to one of these beneficial services. Why does Mediacom feel the need to add their two cents? You guys aren't providing a service which is better than the search provider you're copying off of.

It's obvious that more people are disgruntled with the idea behind this hijacking than for it. Can you guys not take a hint? Invest your minds elsewhere, in a department people actually need help with, not ANOTHER search engine.

For the record, have adjusted my DNS servers to OpenDNS, and adjusted my router. Both the router and OpenDNS are blocking the assist.mediacomcable.com and search.mediacomcable.com domains. I'd rather get pitched error messages than have a rather rude and intrusive, and UNWANTED service hijack.

MediacomMike

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2011, 12:50:35 PM »
  I apologize about this ongoing issue, it's certainly not the feature's intent to redirect you when it's not necessary.  If the redirect page is coming up when you know the URL you've entered is a proper one then we have an issue that we will look into.  If you've cleared your cache, enabled/disabled the feature, and tested it without a router involved and the issue persists you can PM me your account number or phone number and I can submit a ticket to investigate this. 

At this point since you've already blocked it all together you may not choose to do this, but please know that we'd be more than happy to escalate this if that redirect page is posing an ongoing problem.

Kouin

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2011, 01:02:33 PM »
With all due respect Mike, I am no longer interested in resolving the issue, as I will simply line up an http header for a redirect back to google's homepage. But what I do want, is answers to my questions. You guys can not honestly believe what you have put on that "Why Am I Here" page. There are plenty of people who aren't tech savy who find this as a dis-service even after looking at that. Why does mediacom insist on persuing this idea?

MediacomBryan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2011, 01:36:40 PM »
Kou,

As far as your questions, we offer this as a feature to assist our customers with pages and domains that can't be found. I am sorry if you do not find this useful. As such, if you would like to turn it off and can't, we'll need to attempt a fix. We're here as a support team to help you and our other customers, and we'd certainly like to help you however we can with this, which will start Mike's need for your account information.

Thank you,
MediacomBryan

zerohp

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2011, 07:04:56 PM »
it's certainly not the feature's intent to redirect you when it's not necessary.

It's never necessary, so please stop doing it.  As a customer paying $150 a month for 50 mbps and television service I'm livid that any responses are being modified.  Many sites return useful information in the 404 reply, which helps to locate the content I was originally after.

MediacomTom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2011, 07:21:47 PM »
As stated if you would like to turn this off and cannot we will need to correct it. We will need your information to add to the open ticket and we can correct this for you. I have also answered you in the other thread you posted in regards to this.

If you would like to PM your account# or phone# I can add your information to the currently open ticket regarding this issue.

MediacomMike

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2011, 10:46:27 AM »
I'd just like to update here and let you know that the tickets that have been submitted concerning this issue have been escalated, the problem is now being investigated.  If I hear any new information I'll have it posted here.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 11:34:24 AM by MediacomMike »

greenbelt

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2011, 09:27:48 PM »
This is still happening. I had to opt out again tonight, which I have to do about once a week.

MediacomTom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2011, 09:34:35 PM »
mm-

I had a call with a couple of different departments today discussing this. They are still looking into what it causing this to affect the folks that have reported this. The strange part is that in most situations with our testing on various accounts, we've been unable to replicate what you all are seeing. My best guess (and I could be off, I'm not involved with the direct fix/investigation) is that the account information for the affected users reporting this is corrupted or duplicated in some manner in the database.

We'll keep in touch as soon as we hear something back.

Thanks
Bryan

This was posted in another thread in regards to this same issue.