Author Topic: bandwidth cap  (Read 16284 times)

Magnum3667

• View Profile
Re: bandwidth cap
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2013, 05:02:18 PM »
It is true that all residential customers will be migrated to usage based billing, effective September 7th. However, this is unlikely to affect the vast majority of our customer base from a billing perspective. Nearly 97% of our customers historically are under the new usage allowance for their respective tier.

I show from July 20th - Aug 19th you used 92.7 GB's of your 250GB monthly allowance. If this was a normal usage month and you don't expect your usage to drastically change you will have nothing to worry about. If you do feel your usage will change please let me know. I will be happy to have a representative contact you to go over available promotions for your area. I show we currently offer the following services.

LAUNCH HSD - 3 Mbps down/512 Kbps up - 150 GB usage allowance
PRIME HSD - 15 Mbps down/1 Mbps up - 250 GB usage allowance
PRIME PLUS HSD - 30 Mbps down/2 Mbps Up - 350 GB usage allowance
MEDIACOM ULTRA - 50 Mbps down/5 Mbps Up - 999 GB usage allowance
MEDIACOM ULTRA PLUS - 105 Mbps down/10 Mbps up - 999 GB usage allowance

You have used 21 GB of your 250 monthly allowance for the August 20th - September 19th billing cycle. If you have any further questions or concerns feel free to let us know.

again i highly disagree with your numbers...if truely only 97% of the customers wernt using close to their allowance, there would be no reason to enforce the cap that your reps didnt tell anyone when doing contracts almost 2 years ago...that point alone should make you trying to enforce the cap null and void....pretty shady to add something like this into a contract and not tell anyone its there especially when you negotiate it over the phone where we cant "see" the fine print

its only gonna get worse...wait for the people that dont have an email attached to their account and go over not knowing....you think people are mad now, its only gonna get worse for mediacom....

Bgrubz

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2013, 10:58:57 PM »
I was just called tonight, informed that I was already 120 into my 150g and only a week into my cycle, like most something I was never made aware of until the call, I mostly watch netflix anytime I'm in the house, do the MMO thing and upload videos, as well as school work.  I upgraded against my better judgement because it would be cheaper in the long run then running over this absurd cap.  Even at the 350 a month I'm at now I'm not sure is going to be enough, which was the highest I was willing to go and even that was rubbing me raw, but hey..I'm just a long-term customer, not a new one.  Some of us do use the internet heavily but can't afford this high end tiers just so we don't get F'd in the A when we go over our limits by leaps and bounds through our normal standard usage.

If your going to enforce a cap, then give an option for a speed limiter instead of overage charges.  If you go over your limit,  your bandwidth goes way down, not something crippling, but something that isn't going to be 'abused' if thats what these caps are really about.  I'd settle for that, I just stop playing MMO's take 50 min to load up a Neflix movie or episode, and no more uploading videos, but I'm still able to upload and participate in my school work online.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:00:32 PM by Bgrubz »

MediacomMichael

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2013, 11:12:31 PM »
Hello,

I show last month you used 362.7 GB of your 150 GB monthly usage allowance. This billing cycle was from Jul 13th - Aug 12th. For the current billing cycle from August 13th - September 12th you have used 123.1 GB of your 350 GB monthly allowance. If you feel you may go over I'll be happy to have a representative contact you with available upgrade offers.

We do offer the following services in your area.

LAUNCH HSD - 3 Mbps down/512 Kbps up - 150 GB usage allowance
PRIME HSD - 15 Mbps down/1 Mbps up - 250 GB usage allowance
PRIME PLUS HSD - 30 Mbps down/2 Mbps Up - 350 GB usage allowance
MEDIACOM ULTRA - 50 Mbps down/5 Mbps Up - 999 GB usage allowance
MEDIACOM ULTRA PLUS - 105 Mbps down/10 Mbps up - 999 GB usage allowance

Bgrubz

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2013, 11:19:19 PM »
This month is because I just changed to the 350g and no I don't want to explore other options for increasing it because I really didn't want to pay more to increase my limit from 150 to 350, but I did it to stop from giving you any more money then I had to when I went over the 150 and you started this charging for overuse crap.  If your company is so set on setting a ceiling for usage then give the customer an option of either paying the overage, cutting the service till cycle is over, or the better option to throttle the usage after the limit is reached.

MediacomMichael

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2013, 11:21:33 PM »
I understand. If you have any further questions or concerns feel free to contact my team here. We're happy to help.

Bgrubz

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2013, 11:29:16 PM »
What I'd like Michael, as most of the customer's who are upset with this, is more options other then. "Oh hey...you can give us an extra 40 a month to keep from going over, or pay 10 bucks for ever50g over.  I'm pretty sure it is easy to set up in the system somewhere some toggles for customers who either want their service to be interrupted if they go over or throttled if they go over instead of getting overuse fees.

KenJ

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2013, 02:39:27 AM »
It is true that all residential customers will be migrated to usage based billing, effective September 7th. However, this is unlikely to affect the vast majority of our customer base from a billing perspective.

please think about what your saying before you say it.. this WILL EFFECT EVERYONE as it applies to everyone.. from a billing perspective

Magnum3667

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2013, 05:31:23 AM »
i find it quite funny that i got a call tonight from your company telling me that from june to july, i went over my "cap", was told what my cap was and then the lady had the gall to ask me if i was happy with my "cap" amount....

first of all, i see this as mediacom trying to cover their butts now to make everyone aware of the cap that they shouldnt have a right to place in the first place on contracts that are well over a year old because at the time of the contract, your company knew dang well they were slipping the data cap stuff in and DIDNT TELL ANYONE knowing that if some point down the road, they had some loophole to get more money out of their customers....thats all i see this as, and you guys can say what you will, but i think thats how most of us feel....we feel cheated and scammed

ive said it from the time i found out about these caps that if mediacom wants to cap people, thats well and good as long as its the new customers or existing customers(and not the ones you failed to tell about this when doing a new contract like myself) signing/changing up AFTER you guys decided to enforce the cap....which basically means that no one and i repeat no one should be held to the cap that didnt make a change or a new sign up within the last 14 days or so....

and on top of all that...your company doesnt give us any options.....doesnt give us any deals, and wants to charge people that legitly have a reason to get out of their contract that you have now changed....where is the good will towards long time customers? wheres any deals or promotions for them? Oh wait there is none unless you havnt had that particular service, then you get some kind of break....must feel real good to be the only game in town for most people....must feel good to treat your customers like dirt and force them into paying for things they shouldnt have to...hopefully mediacom smartens up in the next 13 days and does the right thing and does not go through with this unfair new demand they want to hold all of their customers to....if not, i can see a ton of people leaving your service...

mortisha1010

• View Profile
New terms, Do NOT agree to
« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2013, 06:33:43 AM »
I got this lovely little message on my browser today...
"We are writing to inform you about changes Mediacom is making to its Internet terms of service. Although these changes won’t affect the way about 98% of our customers use the Internet or how much the service costs, we want you to understand the changes and tell you how to see if they will affect you.

Effective 9/18/2013 0:00, your monthly data usage allowance will be 150GB. The changes will only affect you if you use more than 150GB during your monthly billing cycle. Mediacom's Always Faster Internet customers' median monthly data usage is currently under 14 GB per month. You can easily check to see how much data you have used by going to http://mediacomtoday.com/usagemeter. Your login credentials are your Mediacom email address and password. If you use less than 150GB, these changes won’t affect you unless you increase your usage.

For your convenience, we will notify you if you are approaching your usage allowance at 75%, 85% and 95% and when you have exceeded it. If you exceed your allowance during a monthly billing cycle, you will automatically be billed for additional above-allowance usage in 50 GB blocks at $10 per block.

You can control the amount of data you use by how you use your service. The amount of data you use is largely impacted by your online activities, not just the amount of time you spend online. For example, you could spend hours on Facebook®, checking e-mails, or surfing the Web, and use less than 1 GB of data. On the other hand, you could spend 30 minutes downloading a movie and use 2 GB. Put simply, it's what you do with the Internet that affects your usage, not the time you spend on it.

If you want to have a higher data allowance, the Mediacom Online service plans are now scaled for various levels of use, ranging from lower cost options with slower speeds and smaller data usage allowances (e.g., 150 GB) for the light users of the Internet, to premium service levels with very fast speeds and data usage allowances of 350 GB and 999 GB.

If you want to change your level of service, if you are concerned about these changes or want to cancel your service, please call us at 866-746-7314 or visit us online at http://mediacomcable.com/customersupport. By continuing to use the service, you agree to these changes.

We appreciate your business, and thank you for choosing Mediacom to be your Internet service provider."

I do not agree to this! When I signed up over a year ago, the man who was helping me get set up, told me there would be no monthly download limit. Since I signed up I've had constant issues with my internet, multiple reps come out, dozens of phone calls, and still having the same issues. Just last night I called to complain and was "told" it would be escalated. That gave me a little hope that I might begin to have reliable internet, but now a download limit? What kind of bs is that, mid contract as well? The service I've had for over a year now has been extremely unreliable. I've had enough. I can't afford to pay for a service I'm hardly recieving half of the time and defiantly won't be paying even more for service that puts a limit on how much I can use. Again, I do not agree to this change. I'm going to be looking into new ISPs.

Courtneygerman

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2013, 06:46:29 AM »
Ok so I never bothered to create a mediacom email since I only use my gmail. How am I supposed to check  my usage?? I created the email account but it tells me my data usage is unavailable.

MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2013, 06:50:49 AM »
Hi, Courtney, when did you created this email account?  It can take up to 24 hours before the address is synced with meter and TV Everywhere services, so if it was very recent, it may throw errors at you.

Courtneygerman

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2013, 06:55:52 AM »
It was recent so that would explain it. My billing does not show usage so I was hoping to look at that report but hopefully I can later today. Thanks.

MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 25, 2013, 06:58:27 AM »
You're welcome!  Generally, you should see the meter become available within 12-24 hours of email setup.  If you're still having trouble accessing it after that, definitely let us know!

jerkamiah

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2013, 10:05:40 AM »
i am in the 15 down 1 up package and have been for years. last month i was at 247gb for the month. my question is. if you can legally enforce this cap, then why dont you actually cap my 15downat 15down? the reason i ask is because my average speed when tests is well over 20 down. so i am using up more data in a lower capped package at your companies doing without my permission. people may not know that mediacom allows 20 mbps downloads because of bad company rating on there interent and by this happening we are being spoon fed more data as a result. can this be explained to me?

my other thing. am i currently being monitored to be charged for my next billing it be another billing cycle before i see over fees if i get? i played my ps3 for 2 hours and watched some non hd children netflix channels with my kids and already used 9.3 gb of data and its only been a day in in half since no one was home on august 23 when my cycle starts

i just did this speed test. if you are going to cap people, then dont misslead by giving more.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 10:24:37 AM by jerkamiah »

MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 25, 2013, 10:29:17 AM »
All of our modems are provisioned for use with their respective tiers, though you may at times see speeds equal to or exceeding the max to due speedboost and low utilization.  Regardless of provisioned speed, this does not necessarily indicate that you will reach an allowance faster.  Streaming a two hour movie will use the same data amount, regardless of speed at which it is streamed.  Playing games online will transfer the same data regardless, though you may see performance issues at lower speeds, etc.

Usage based billing begins after September 7, 2013 at the beginning of the upcoming cycle.  If your cycles begin on the 23rd, then this will be September 23rd, etc.  Usage can be tracked with the meter found here: http://www.mediacomtoday.com/usagemeter using a Mediacom email address and password to log in.  If one of these needs to be established, that can be done here: http://www.mediacomtoday.com/registration.

jerkamiah

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2013, 10:59:59 AM »
i played4 hours of ps3 and it used 8 gb of data. you guys keep saying look at the usage report. the usage report says that 8gb is equal to 400+ hours of gaming. mediacom has always claimed to be xbox certified which tells me that is is refering to console gaming. so how 4 hours possibly equal 400+ hours ? i only ask because if you keep telling people to check and give them these values they will never be able to figure out where to cut back on
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:14:00 AM by jerkamiah »

Pendragon

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2013, 11:16:35 AM »
I registered just to state my disappointment in mediacom. For years we've been sold on unlimited internet, just to be hit with a cap. I am unsure what my data usage is. Considering we get all off our entertainment through the internet i fear my years of loyalty will be abused for an easy buck. I do not enjoy being capped ask my old cell provider. I will be shopping around and i won't be bragging about media on any longer. 

MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2013, 11:17:15 AM »
The total for the day will take into account everything that utilized date- upload and download.  This doesn't only include online gaming on the PS3, but all Netflix streaming performed, any downloaded or uploaded files, web browsing, other internet streaming, etc., etc.  While this may be equivalent to 400+ hours of online gaming, it is also equivalent to 2 hours of HD streamed content.

ICSamuel

• View Profile
Bait & Switch
« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2013, 03:05:41 PM »
I'm getting a Mediacom message at the top of Explorer notifying me of a rate increase for data usage then the message directs you to verify receipt of the message below.  When you look at the bottom of the message it isn't for verification that you received the message, its a box that says that you agree to the rate increase.

Notice verification and rate increase agreement are two different things and its a sleazy way to get people to agree to the new terms.  Not that you need a customer to agree but why do it in this manner?

MediacomTim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Bait & Switch
« Reply #119 on: August 25, 2013, 04:05:55 PM »
Hello ICSamuel,

We do understand your frustration with these changes. The new data allowances will not go into effect until 9/7/13. Currently only about 3% of our customers go over their allotted allowance that they will be placed on. We do not want any of our customers to go over, so we are giving everyone the option to upgrade. I have looked over your usage over the past month, and I am showing that you only used about 24 GB of the 250 GB allowance you will be on.

If you would like to have a representative contact you to go over your usage, and possibly any upgrade offers we have in your area, feel free to send any of our Moderators here with a good contact number and time in which you would like for someone to call.