Author Topic: bandwidth cap  (Read 16276 times)

hobbsjas

• View Profile
bandwidth cap
« on: May 04, 2012, 09:41:10 AM »
I was called last night and told that I went over our bandwidth cap last month and they were doing a courtesy call to let me know.  Ok, I have 5 teenagers and my wife and I who all use internet and we don't watch cable, we watch hulu and netflix.  Is there any way I can monitor my bandwidth usage to keep an eye on this?

MediacomDallas

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: bandwidth cap
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 09:48:52 AM »
We are currently developing a tool for customers to monitor their bandwidth usage. It should be released sometime this quarter. In the meantime, we can answer any usage related questions you have here on the forums.

cmoneyr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 09:50:15 AM »
There's a bandwidth cap?

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 09:54:23 AM »
We do have a 250gb cap written in our Acceptable Use Policy.

The full agreement can be found by click 'Mediacom Online Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy' at the bottom of this page:
http://mediacomtoday.com/

Or, a direct link here:
http://www.mediacomcc.com/HSD_Subscriber_Agreement.pdf

hobbsjas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 10:32:47 AM »
I will await the bandwidth tool then, Could I get a private message for what I have used already this month?

-Jason Hobbs

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 10:34:11 AM »
Sure can, give me just a moment.

Greg28471

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 11:15:49 AM »
I upgraded my router (WNDR3400 Netgear) and noticed when I log into that it does have bandwidth monitor and can show daily, monthly, and allow you to set alerts and set your cap.

hobbsjas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 12:00:11 PM »
Does Mediacom business have bandwidth caps as well?

Brett7715

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 12:32:07 PM »
Greg, I have that same router and in the settings you can actually set it to change the color of some of the flashing lights as you approach a set usage amount each month as a warning.  We never come close to the cap but in a situation like the original poster the ability to monitor would be very useful.

hobbsjas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 01:37:12 PM »
Can someone answer if mediacom business has bandwidth caps?

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 01:47:20 PM »
I'm sorry for the delay; I don't generally work with business accounts and don't want to give you the wrong information. I am checking with our business management team.

hobbsjas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 02:06:44 PM »
oh ok, thanks for looking.

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 03:05:09 PM »
Our business customers adhere to the same terms of service as our residential customers.

jwarren93

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 03:45:43 PM »
When I signed up for the 50mpbs service in person at my local mediacom office, I explicitly asked if mediacom had bandwidth caps. They said they do not, so I immediately signed up and then cancelled my Uverse service on the day AT&T publicly announced they were going to implement bandwidth caps.

MediacomChrisL

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 04:00:54 PM »
We do have a preset bandwidth limit of 250GB in our terms of service. Previously, this was a soft cap that was not strictly enforced on customers except in extreme situations.We are looking into new options to provide better overall service to our customers and would love your opinions. As a customer, what would you feel is best suited to your needs? Would you prefer tiered level or service that increases per internet product (such as the intro product as compared to the Ultra50 product) or would you prefer a unlimited data option as a add on plan? We love our customers' input on any changes being made and assure you we can get this up to management so your voices can be heard. We are making every effort to make our service affordable while providing quality speeds and data amounts for every user.

Chris

hobbsjas

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 06:28:57 PM »
I feel like 250 is not even feasible in this day and age.  If all I did was use email and view web pages, this cap would be fine.  My son started his steam client tonight and 4 of his games updated at a total of 13Gb in less than 30 minutes.  When we watch television we use Hulu or Netflix, we rarely use cable except for live events.  This is why I asked the question about Mediacom business having caps because that might be my only alternative in the future.  Maybe 500Gb as a starting level would be more feasible than 250.

MediacomChrisL

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 06:33:36 PM »
Thank you for your input. We are taking all of this into consideration and we will keep you updated here on what stances we choose to take as a company. We are doing all we can to make data consumption level throughout each headend and make sure our customers are heard and we do what is best for everyone.

Chris

jwarren93

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 06:37:12 PM »
So it is not a soft cap anymore? I just visited my local Springfield, MO office. They are still selling the service as unlimited. I had to direct them to your subscriber agreement about the 250 GB usage limit. They pulled out some guy from the back with "trainer" on his business to  explain things to me. He said the 250 GB limit has been in the agreement for the last seven years. He also stated that no one in the country using mediacom's internet service has downloaded more than 250 GB in a month. I stopped listening to him then. I'll also be courteous and leave him unnamed.

I then called the 866-452-4747 tech number. The first tech was completely clueless about the 250 GB limit, he couldn't even find the statement in your subscriber agreement. I then spoke to his manager, a lead tech, who never heard about this bandwidth usage limit. He did however find the clause in your agreement, but didn't have much to offer since he knew nothing about it. Dead end there.

About 20 minutes later I got a call back from a Zach out of your Des Moines, IA office. He was knowledgeable, and tried to explain the usage limit. He said it was added to the subscriber agreement in 2010 (still before I signed up for your "unlimited" service) and to basically continue using the internet the way I have been, even with a usage of over 550 GBs within the last 30 days.

So, as I asked above, is this not a soft cap anymore? Are there overage fees? Has your policy recently changed? When were you going to notify your customers about the change in their service? Why should we choose the 50mbps or even the 105mbps service over the smaller ones if they all have the same monthly usage cap of 250 GBs? Those of us paying a premium for your faster packages will have more of a need to move more data. That's why we pay those prices.

It astounds me that no two answers have been the same from your employees, especially those on the tech side. And it's even more unbelievable that several of them haven't even heard about this bandwidth limit. I would start with informing your employees about the details of your service so they know exactly what they are selling and how to deal with these type of questions.

MediacomChrisL

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 07:00:29 PM »
Currently this is a soft cap. We are not charging overage fees, we are not limiting or throttling traffic or making any changes to the network that would do this. All we are doing currently is informing certain customers who are very high end users throughout the company that there usage is high and we are trying to gain more information as to why they are so high. Some do not know how much bandwidth they use (open networks with no protection, etc.) and all we did was inform them and explain the 250GB cap. This has been in our terms of service for a couple of years now, but I don't have the exact date.

I apologize if you have not been given the correct information from all the representatives you spoke to. The data limit is not something that has been enforced and it may have slipped their minds from training. As we look into the data and see what we can do to best benefit our customers and move forward, we will be sure to keep our customers informed to the best of our abilities. You make great points about the different needs of customers who have Ultra50 as compared to Intro speeds. Obviously the Ultra50 customers most likely will utilize more data and that is something our management team is taking into consideration through this process.

The last thing we want to do is leave our customers blind. That is why we want your opinions so we can work to find a way that can benefit everyone. I apologize for any inconvenience and assure you we will constantly keep you updated on any changes through the forums here and through other means when necessary.

Thanks,
Chris

jwarren93

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 08:52:38 PM »
You could just remove the bandwidth usage clause from your subscriber agreement since no one knows about it anyway. And just like any business out there, you have the final say in who is a customer of yours. So if there is a repeat abuser, just terminate service after a couple of warnings.

You don't have to follow AT&T, Comcast, etc. by establishing a bandwidth limit. That is THE reason why I came back to Mediacom, I was sold an UNLIMITED 50mbps service. I cancelled my Uverse account the same day they publicly announced their 250 GB bandwidth cap. If there are users out there actually abusing your service where it affects others, warn them, and then terminate their service if they do not comply.