Author Topic: Suddenly no internet access  (Read 1514 times)

jB77

• View Profile
Suddenly no internet access
« on: April 21, 2012, 01:09:28 PM »
I cannot access anything on the internet. All lights are on on the modem. They light up sequentially after cycling power including the internet light (Motorola modem), but to no avail. Windows 7 says there is a problem between the modem and the primary DNS. I have tried different nameservers thinking it might be a DNS issue, but Mediacom's as well as Level3's DNS (4.2.2.1 4.2.2.2) do not work. I talked to tech support last night who was not any help. We tried connecting my laptop directly to the modem and it still didn't work. BTW - I am not masking my MAC address. The tech lady said it was not getting an IP address.

Anyway, I don't understand what happened. I have made no changes on my end and have done nothing different since the last time I could access the internet. The modem shows it is connected. My pc shows I am connected. But no access. What could be the problem? Do I need to restore my modem and re-activate it at: http://maestro.mediacomcc.com/walledgarden/index.jsp    ???

I need to be able to work from home this weekend. Can this be fixed by then?

Thanks,
James

MediacomTim

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Suddenly no internet access
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 01:13:56 PM »
I am showing that your modem is online, just no IP address. Are you using a wireless router? If so, power cycle your modem, check the ethernet cords and plug your modem directly into your computer and see if you can get online. Check to see what your IP address is directly through the modem as well.

jB77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 01:23:44 PM »
I have been using a wireless router for many years now without experiencing this problem. I am currently at work, but will try as you suggest when I get home. Will I still be able to use a wireless router once the internet works again? Also, is there a way to renew DHCP on the modem? Shouldn't this assign an IP?

BTW - How late are moderators available to help on this forum?

MediacomTim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 01:27:39 PM »
What this will do is tell us if it is an issue with the modem or router. If the internet works when you are directly plugged into the modem, then we know everything on our end is working. Once you get online, you can plug your router back in and try it, if it still doesn't work then you know it is your router.

We can reset your modem, but the IP addresses renew once a week when you reset them.

Also, the moderators are available here until 12 PM CST.

jB77

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 01:31:07 PM »
Well, like I said in my original post we tried this already and the tech lady said it was not getting an IP. Does it matter what my internal IP is when I connect my pc directly to the modem?

MediacomTim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 01:48:07 PM »
When you connect directly to your computer, it will be either 169. 173. or 50.

You can also check the ethernet cord as well to make sure there is nothing wrong with it.

jB77

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 02:00:37 PM »
I meant my internal IP. I have static IP's set for my internal network. Does it matter what my static IP is or what subnet I am on ? Or will it communicate with the modem regardless?

I'm assuming you mean my assigned IP should start with '169.' , '173.' or '50.' ? Is this correct?

MediacomTim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 02:01:13 PM »
Yes, that is correct.

jB77

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 02:06:29 PM »
Does it matter what my static IP is or what subnet I am on ? Or will it communicate with the modem regardless?

MediacomTim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 02:08:36 PM »
If you have a static IP, of course, you are going to see that. Change your IP to dynamic and check to see what you are getting.

jB77

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 02:38:28 PM »
Could you possibly 'Private Message' me the MAC address that I have registered when I first activated my modem. I can't remember if I am cloning my MAC address or not.

Thanks...

MediacomTim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 02:40:01 PM »
I will send you the PM.

jB77

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »
Thanks Tim.

MediacomTim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 02:48:07 PM »
You are welcome.

Let us know if you have any other issues when you get home and can troubleshoot.

jB77

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 10:36:46 AM »
All is good now. The problem was a bad router connected to the modem. Also, it appears your service no longer likes spoofed MAC addresses. Thanks for your help. The forum is 10 times more useful than you phone support.

MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 10:38:23 AM »
You're welcome, and we appreciate the support!  Please be sure to come to us if you have any questions or troubles.  We'll do everything we can to take care of it!