Author Topic: CableCard for Tivo  (Read 1294 times)

dm8319

• View Profile
CableCard for Tivo
« on: March 19, 2012, 12:13:53 PM »
My area (Davenport/Bettendorf Iowa) switched to a mostly digital line-up last month.  My Tivo Premiere was able to see the new channels when I re-scanned (mostly in the 51-1 to 55-27 range) and the previous channels (23 and above) either have no signal or a splash screen saying the channels have moved and to get a Mediacom Digital Adapter.

My problem is that there is no Tivo programming guide information on the new channels.  For example, the Tivo still thinks that TNT is on channel 35 (not the new channel 53-9).  When I tune the Tivo to channel 53-9, the signal is TNT and I can watch it, but the programming guide says "No Information Available".  So if I did nothing, any show on TNT (for example) that I told the Tivo to record, would try to record channel 35 (which now has no signal) and not 53-9.  So to record anything on TNT, I have to manually program it (turning my Tivo back into a big useless VCR).

Thinking this was a Tivo Line-up problem, I submitted a case to Tivo.  After 4 weeks of waiting and talking to their support staff, they finally closed the case saying that these channels (51-1 and such) are "clear QAM channels" and without a CableCard, I will never get programming guide information.  I quote:  "The QAM channels you are referring to are not officially supported by either Mediacom or TiVo as they have yet to be standardized by the FCC."

So, I guess I need a CableCard for my Tivo.  Looking at the posts on this site and researching through the Internet, I still have a few questions:

1.  It appears I can schedule a Mediacom Tech to come out and install it (an M-Card into my Tivo Premiere).  What is the cost to do that?
2.  I could stand in line at my local office and hope that by the time I get to the front of the line, they have a CableCard.  Is there a method to reserve one so I know one will be there for me?
3.  Is it possible to have one sent to me via mail?  That is how I received a Mediacom Digital Adapter a few months ago (which I still have not opened since it appears my Tivo didn't need it).
4.  And in general, how does this work -- will the channels remap again back to the old line-up (i.e. will TNT go back to channel 35) ?

Thank you.

MediacomBill

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: CableCard for Tivo
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 12:53:38 PM »
Thank you for bringing this to the forum.  It seems you have done quite a bit of research.

1) Yes you can have a tech deliver and install a cable for only $29.95 (this may be the best option).

2) Due to the high demand for cable cards they are distributed on a first come first served basis at the local offices. I could try to reserve one but there is no guarantee.

3) We do not send cable cards via mail.

4) I will have to research this.  We would have to pair the card after install.  My gut tells me it would have the correct listings but maybe TIVO is right about the QAM channels.

dm8319

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 01:09:18 PM »
1.  So if I schedule a Tech to install a CableCard, will they reserve one for him to bring?  I would need to take off work -- it is pretty certain he would have a "M-Cable" CableCard with him and not need to reschedule at the last minute?

2.  Can I schedule a Tech through you or is there somewhere else I need to go?

Thank you. 

MediacomBill

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 01:45:52 PM »
I can set up the tech call for you.  The tech will have the card with him.  If we are out of stock you would be called by dispatch to reschedule.  If you give me the go ahead I will get it set up for you.

dm8319

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 02:02:34 PM »
I sent you a PM.  Thank you.

MediacomBill

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 02:41:06 PM »
Thanks I set up the appointment and will send you the details in a personal message.

MediacomTim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 07:36:30 PM »
I see the install was completed. Was the Cablecard installed for you?

dm8319

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 09:14:01 PM »
Installation went smoothly and program guide information now available on Tivo.

For the record, the CableCard made all the channels re-align to the original (for example TNT is now back to 35) and all those 51-1 through 55-27 channels are gone.

Thank you!

MediacomTim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 09:16:37 PM »
You are welcome, let us know if you have any other issues.