Author Topic: Visiting Laptop  (Read 411 times)

Chas_Blakemore

• View Profile
Visiting Laptop
« on: January 24, 2012, 07:45:33 AM »
Good morning. I have a laptop visiting my house that I need to connect to the Internet. We have a problem. When I try to connect through our wireless modem/rounter, it says "Wireless authentication failed because of a timeout". How do I fix this so I can get the visiting laptop connected? Thanks.

MediacomDallas

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting Laptop
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 08:02:17 AM »
Hi Chas

I am going to assume you have the correct pass phrase for the router. I can retrieve it from the router if you want to verify it with me via PM. Has this laptop connected to your wireless network in the past? If so, there is a possibility the saved network settings on the laptop do not match the current settings. Some support topics I have found on this recommend changing the encryption type to AES.

From the router log, it doesn't seem that the laptop has even made a DHCP request at this point.

Chas_Blakemore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 08:06:01 AM »
Yes, assuming you're talking about the password for the modem, I do have that. No, the laptop has never connected to our Internet in the past. This is the first time. The rest of the things you're talking about are going over my head.

MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 08:09:45 AM »
What OS is this laptop using?  There may be changes that need to be made to the connection.

Chas_Blakemore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 08:12:19 AM »
Vista Home Premium. And, I'm not doing anything radical that may take an inordinate amount of time and may cause other problems. Just for the record, the two permanent computers are using Vista Home Premium and Windows 7.

MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 08:13:39 AM »
Okay thanks.  Are the other two computers wireless as well?  Or are they both direct connected?

Chas_Blakemore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 08:16:13 AM »
They are both wireless.

MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 08:22:58 AM »
Timeouts are usually caused either by incorrect pass codes (which we know is not the case here) or possibly a configuration setting that's off.  On the visiting laptop, you may try removing the connection profile that was made when first attempting and then attempting again:

Start> Control Panel> Classic View> Network & Sharing Center> Manage Wireless Networks

From here, your wireless network should appear in the list.  Just highlight and delete.  Any others that are there can stay- we're only worried about yours.

Chas_Blakemore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 08:44:17 AM »
I'm looking at the Manage Wireless Networks window even as I type and nothing is there.

MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 08:53:58 AM »
Very strange...  You may try to manually add your network, perhaps.  There should be an 'add' button with a plus sign by it.  This will allow you to specify security type (WPA- Personal) and encryption type (TKIP +AES).

Chas_Blakemore

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 09:01:58 AM »
Well, I tried your suggestion and it didn't work. Since this isn't a life changing critical thing, I am going to abort all of this. There is an unsecured network showing that works for some reason. I think I will ride piggyback on that one until I send the visiting laptop back home.

MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 09:10:09 AM »
Okay.  I'm not 100% certain on what the exact cause of this could be.  It's working properly on the other computers, so we know the connection is good.  Let us know if you have any other troubles!

Chas_Blakemore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 09:11:40 AM »
Thanks, and, no problems, I have a reputation to live up to with you guys...to be the biggest pest in Mediacom.

MediacomBill

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 09:23:33 AM »
I was just reviewing this thread. Thanks for the laugh. Sorry we weren't able to help.