Author Topic: Modem for Internet and Phone  (Read 429 times)

wdmridge

• View Profile
Modem for Internet and Phone
« on: January 23, 2012, 10:07:10 PM »
I am a new subcriber for Internet and Phone. While placing the order I was given a promotion which says free wireless modem for 6 months. However i am told that the modem rental of $5 still applies while the wireless fee is waived.  Is this true? How can there be two fees for one equipment (wireless modem). I understand if its a separate router.

BTW, I have my own router, can I use it and have the modem fee waived instead?

I plan to buy my own modem - motorola Surfboard 5101 (DOCSIS 2.0) since i have read here that motorola 6120 (DOCSIS3.0) may not be supported. Is that correct?  Will 5101 work for 12 or 15 mb speed?

Will i still need to have two modems if i get my own (one for the phone)?  Will i still be assessed a fee?

Thanks!

MediacomTom

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Modem for Internet and Phone
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 10:41:15 PM »
The modem(wireless or not) will incur a $5 rental fee if it is provided for internet service from Mediacom.

The only way to remove this fee is to use your own modem for the internet service.

Any DOCSIS 2.0 broadband cable modem is supported. Most DOCSIS 3.0 modems require new or improved firmware, which is very limited and we currently only have official updates for the Cisco DPC3000, Cisco DPC3825 and the Motorola SB6120. (SB6121 and SBG6580 are the more problematic models)

If you also getting phone service from us we will provide a modem for that and no fee will be incurred as long as you have a separate modem for internet.

wdmridge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 09:17:37 PM »
Thanks for the response!

I plan to get a SB5101 or 6120. I understand the speeds wont change with 12 or 15 Mbs service. However, with SB6120 I will be DOCSIS 3.0 ready. I dont know if I can find a Cisco DPC3000, or DPC3825 here in DSM. Which one of these three would you recommend?

If I get my own modem, and have to use Mediacom modem for phone, that will make two modems and a router!

May be need to have the phone modem at a different cable location.....

MediacomJames

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 09:23:58 PM »
I cannot recommend one brand or model of modem over another.  I do recommend that each modem have its own cable outlet if at all possible to avoid any possible issues.