Author Topic: Using my own modem for MediaCom telephone  (Read 4653 times)

AlphaGautney

• View Profile
Using my own modem for MediaCom telephone
« on: January 15, 2012, 05:34:13 PM »
I have called Mediacom customer service to ask questions about buying my own modem and using it for their internet and possibly their telephone service. I get conflicting responses about whether or not I could use my own modem, and if so what modems are supported; for internet, or for telephone. One customer support agent said (unofficially) that many customers had problems with Zoom modems. That's why none are listed below.

Modems I have looked at on the web are:

Motorola; SBV5222, SBV6220, SBG6580

Arris; TM602G/CT, TM604G

I tried one of the SBV5222 modems and was unsuccessful at obtaining a reliable connection to the internet after it was provisioned.

MediacomTom

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Using my own modem for MediaCom telephone
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 05:44:07 PM »
Motorola; SBV6220, SBG6580

These are going to be the ones to look at from the models you have posted. Unless you are getting 20mbps service or higher you would not need a Docsis 3.0 modem and any Docsis 2.0 cable broadband modem would work for our internet service without problem.

We will have to install our phone modem for the phone service, so you may want to keep that in mind when purchasing a modem.

AlphaGautney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 06:17:06 PM »
What prevents the use of a telephone capable modem I purchase from being used on Mediacom's service?

MediacomCarson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 06:36:42 PM »
Only our telephone modems will work with Mediacom telephone service.  We can separate the provisioning.  HSD on one modem and phone on the other.

AlphaGautney

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 06:50:29 PM »
The modem rental...

What does rental on a modem for internet/telephone cost.

If it is the same or greater than rental on the modem I currently have, that would purposely make it impractical  for me to buy my own modem, yes?

MediacomCarson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 06:52:02 PM »
If you get your own internet only modem, there will  be no modem charge and you will be able to use our phone modem with out a rental charge.  You'll just have 2 modems.

AlphaGautney

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 07:12:20 PM »
Thanks for the rapid replies. I'll look at some DOCSIS 2 and 3 modems on the net.

Maybe someday I'll be able to afford the 20mb or when it becomes available, the 50mb service and having a DOCSIS 3 modem would good (near) future proofing.

MediacomTom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 07:18:46 PM »
Not a problem. If you have any further questions or concerns please just let us know.

MarkinGA

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 09:56:56 AM »
Only our telephone modems will work with Mediacom telephone service.  We can separate the provisioning.  HSD on one modem and phone on the other.

If you get your own internet only modem, there will  be no modem charge and you will be able to use our phone modem with out a rental charge.  You'll just have 2 modems.

That's interesting, because you still have the same modem but you're no longer being charged for it.

I wasn't aware that you couldn't use a telephony modem for your phone service.  None of the other moderators informed me of that.

So just to be clear, even though I purchased the exact same modem, RCA DHG535, same version and everything, Mediacom blocks the phone service because it's not your modem?

I have mine provisioned for both internet and phone, and the internet works, the phone has a dial tone but it disconnects or drops the call everytime I make a call.  I believe the modem reboots as well.

I was told it might be my levels, no one said Mediacom won't allow the telephony to function on a modem you purchase.  Just want to get confirmation on this.

MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 10:08:55 AM »
There is no way that we can guarantee consistent connection to the switch with a customer-purchased telephony modem, which is why we strongly advise the use of our equipment and do not charge the rental fee as far as telephone is concerned.  It is an option, of course, to use your own but a number of problems could arise: firmware issues, frequency trouble, hardware issues.  If you've purchased the same model as something we use, then the compatibility is boosted.

MarkinGA

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 10:15:43 AM »
There is no way that we can guarantee consistent connection to the switch with a customer-purchased telephony modem, which is why we strongly advise the use of our equipment and do not charge the rental fee as far as telephone is concerned.  It is an option, of course, to use your own but a number of problems could arise: firmware issues, frequency trouble, hardware issues.  If you've purchased the same model as something we use, then the compatibility is boosted.

So it's not something enforced, you're not blocking my calls?  Must be my modem is faulty then.

If you won't charge me for it that's fine, I was never told about this, certainly makes it more complex.

I could have saved money and not bought a telephony modem and just used yours without a fee.  Not sure why the multiple moderators I spoke to never mentioned this.

MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 10:22:19 AM »
That is very strange- I apologize.  Yes, there is no charge for a telephony modem (MTA) leased from us.  It is when this modem is also provisioned for internet when the charge is introduced.  Essentially, any time there is Mediacom equipment used for internet purposed, the leasing fee applies.  If it is used for phone only (and you have a purchased modem running internet, for example) there is no charge.

MarkinGA

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 12:07:13 PM »
That is very strange- I apologize.  Yes, there is no charge for a telephony modem (MTA) leased from us.  It is when this modem is also provisioned for internet when the charge is introduced.  Essentially, any time there is Mediacom equipment used for internet purposed, the leasing fee applies.  If it is used for phone only (and you have a purchased modem running internet, for example) there is no charge.

Outdated firmware may be the problem with the modem I purchased and why it kept dropping calls. 

I currently have both modems hooked up, the one from Mediacom for phone service and the one I purchased for internet.  Can you remove the rental fee?  Also, can you push a new firmware to my RCA DHG535 that I have connected for internet service?

Mediacom RCA DHG535
Firmware Name   DHG535-70.02.33-080729-S-1C1.bin
Firmware Build Time   15:36:23 Tue Jul 29 2008

My RCA DHG535
Firmware Name   DHG535-70.02.08.03-080519-S-1C1.bin
Firmware Build Time   10:56:01 Mon May 19 2008

MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 12:35:15 PM »
I'm currently showing a Cisco DPC3000 still provisioned on the account.  Did they remove this modem?  If you wouldn't mind, PM me with your modem's MAC address and I can be sure that it active on the network and properly provisioned.  If the Cisco has been returned, then we can remove the modem lease charge.

hamijohn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 07:19:03 AM »
MediacomDrew
January 29, 2012, 10:08:55 AM
"There is no way that we can guarantee consistent connection to the switch with a customer-purchased telephony modem, which is why we strongly advise the use of our equipment and do not charge the rental fee as far as telephone is concerned."

So what changed in May?  I was informed I now had to pay $5/mth for the phone part of my RCA DHG534 as well as the $5/mth for the modem part of my RCA DHG534!  Is Mediacom going to let me hook up my own RCA DHG534 or DHG535 to avoid the $10 monthly fee?

MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 07:41:49 AM »
This is as new policy effective at the start of June.  The charge will be $5/ month for the use of the eMTA, and we will be offering a purchasable wireless telephony gateway for $149.95.  This will be a DOCSIS 3.0 gateway with wireless capability as well as room for up to four wired connections.  It can also be used for phone service.  Plans are in development to provide solutions for customer-owned eMTAs as well.  As we know information about this, we'll definitely spread the word!

hamijohn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 08:59:24 PM »
"Plans are in development to provide solutions for customer-owned eMTAs as well.  As we know information about this, we'll definitely spread the word!"

Any decision on this?  Sure would like to avoid the double $5 modem/phone rental, especially since it is the same box!  Thanks.

MediacomTim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 09:03:44 PM »
Unfortunately at this time there has been no decision on this.

CoMoMediacomSub

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 08:26:13 AM »
Yes, there is no charge for a telephony modem (MTA) leased from us.

"Leased" is the key word. We were leasing it before, and we're still leasing it after June 1. The only differences are that 1) the lease fee is now broken out and 2) the price of service increased $5.
Columbia, MO

MediacomBill

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 08:32:44 AM »
I am apologize if one of us misspoke.