Author Topic: Getting the Run-Around from Mediacom  (Read 786 times)

linz11

• View Profile
Getting the Run-Around from Mediacom
« on: January 04, 2012, 09:27:14 PM »
I'm new to the Mediacom market (came from CA - AT&T Uverse), became a customer on 12/20/11 and had my service installed on 12/24/2011.  I am working from home and need to be connected to my company's network in CA the entire business day.  Having experienced first hand at the hotel I was staying in that the 'regular' 12Mbps internet drops my VPN connection throughout the day, I requested Ultra50 which the website and customer support said was in my area - I'm taking no chances, this is my JOB/INCOME.  After the service was installed and the tech left, I was only getting between 14-20Mbps.  I called support on the following Tuesday, after the holidays, and they set up an appointment that Thursday, saying that the modem they brought out to me for the install was not the correct equipment that I needed to be able to get the faster speeds.  When the tech arrived Thursday (same person that did the install on Christmas Eve), he said he didn't bring any other equipment.  He told me that he tested the speed before he provisioned the modem which was likely why I was only getting between 14-20Mbps.  He assured me he provisioned the modem correctly this time, showed me that I was getting 45Mbps and left.  I was testing the speeds during the weekend and early last week.  Again, I was seeing a drop off of speed; download ranges in the 20-30Mbps.  I called support again Friday and had a tech come out today.

Here's where I get really annoyed.

The tech says it's because of DirecTV - their equipment is too close to the modem.  Then when I tell him that we only got DirecTV on Saturday he says then it's due to the fact that my signal has to go through "two walls" to my office so that is why I'm not getting good speed. He says that the modem needs to be moved to my office so I can connect with an ethernet cable.  But, he says there is no Mediacom outlets or lines in the office and he would have to install one from the outside wall.  Fine, I say, whatever will work, though I have my doubts as I can be in the same room as the modem on my laptop, plugged into it, and still not see speeds above 35Mbps, not to mention I have ALWAYS had full signal regardless of what room I am in on other providers' home networks (ie UVerse, Comcast).  Then he calls someone on his phone and, exasperated, tells me that it's not ANY of those excuses he just gave, it's due to the DOCSIS 3.0 system not being in my area and a circuit has to be opened for me to get the speeds I am paying for.  I asked how long before a circuit could be opened, as he put it, and he laughed and said, "I don't know, forever?"  He said he needed to call maintenance and talk to his supervisor, then left my house, went out to his van, and drove off about 30 min later, not giving me a clear idea of when this issue could be resolved or how I am paying for something that doesn't exist here.  I called customer care who also couldn't give me a translation for what the tech said or any answer, really.  They told me my only option is to call back every so often to see if the system update has occurred.  I'm beside myself over this and am really looking for some solid answer on why I am paying for service I cannot even have.

MediacomTom

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Getting the Run-Around from Mediacom
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 09:39:35 PM »
I would be more than happy to try and find some answers for you. In order to check into this I would need you to PM your phone# or account# to me. Thanks.

linz11

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 12:14:36 PM »
Checked my speeds today - now below 20 Mbps.  Can I get some answers on this please?  I'm not interested in paying for Ultra50 Mbps for speed no where near this range.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 12:16:08 PM by linz11 »

MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 01:32:16 PM »
I apologize for the lack of information you have received regarding this issue, and for the amount of time you have had to waste dealing with this.  I can say that this definitely seems to be an issue with how the modem is configured.  The equipment is good, and everything is hooked up properly, and signals look great.  However, the modem is not bonding to multiple downstream channels they way that it needs to to provide the Ultra 50 speeds.  This is almost certainly the reason that you see speeds peak at roughly half.

I have been reviewing things for some time today, but was unable to find a record of the escalation that was sent previously.  I have sent this on to the Technical Operations Supervisor for the area, with high priority, and hope to hear back from him very soon.  In the meantime, I will be issuing credits for the difference in prices, as you are getting speeds and levels more consistent with MAX 20 Mbps service.  These will be applied directly to the your statement.

To my knowledge, the technician was right in that this will be a fix that will not require a visit to the home.  The DOCSIS 3.0 system is available in your area, so there should be no reason that your modem cannot be properly bonded.  Again, I'm very sorry that you are having to deal with this.  I will post back with more information from the TOS as soon as we receive it.

MediacomChrisL

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 11:09:47 AM »
The Tech Sup got with me and wants to have someone out to check a couple things. Can I have a tech out on Saturday?

Chris

linz11

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 02:16:18 PM »
My husband's family is staying with us this weekend, no, Saturday is not a good time.  I am home every weekday as I work from home. 

Here is my last speed test.  Abysmal.

MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 02:40:38 PM »
I'll adjust the appointment and send you a PM with more details.

linz11

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 12:16:34 PM »
Tech just left about 20 minutes ago.  He witnessed my speeds at about 35Mbps download.  I just tested again and this was my result:

This was the same tech that came out that gave me a bunch of differing reasons on why I was getting such a big variance.  This time he said the line-drop was bad and he needed to redo it, which he did.

I'm still at a loss on what's going on.

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 12:31:14 PM »
I have brought your account back up to the local tech management. I apologize the tech was unable to get this addressed.

MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 01:17:08 PM »
Did local management get back in touch with you?  I received word back that they took a few more steps and things appear better now.

linz11

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 12:08:05 PM »
Yes, they had 2 techs come out and moved my modem to the room my computer is in.

I don't know if there is a service problem today, or if it's just another problem with my service, but today has been very bad.  Here's my last test:

I am still on Ultra50, right?

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 12:13:06 PM »
The modem is set for the 50mbit service. Can you try disabled the firewall on the modem by following these steps:

http://ow.ly/8F4ka

That is a link to a Google document with screenshots.