Author Topic: can't get more than 5Mb download - would new modem help?  (Read 667 times)

dsm563

• View Profile
can't get more than 5Mb download - would new modem help?
« on: January 21, 2012, 10:05:51 PM »
I have been unable to get faster than 4-5 Mb download on my internet connection, even though, for the plan I have, I should be able to get (up to) 12Mb.  I have an older Linksys cable modem (DOCSIS 1.0).  I just installed a new wireless router, which added about 1 Mb (bumped me up to 5). Would installing a new Motorola SB5101 help?  Or do I have signal issues, perhaps?

As a possible side note, we just purchased our first HDTV, and moved to digital cable.  I note that on various programs, various channels, we sometimes see the image 'jump', as if we had missed a couple of frames.  It's not consistent, although some channels seem to have it more than others. 

should I have my service checked out? 

MediacomTom

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: can't get more than 5Mb download - would new modem help?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 10:20:23 PM »
If the modem is Docsis 1.0 it may be best to swap it out at the local office(or purchase your own to remove the $5 modem fee) first simply to rule that out. I currently do not show much data given by the modem over the last week to gauge whether it is a signal problem or equipment problem, so the modem very well may need to be updated.

dsm563

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 04:15:25 PM »
OK. I picked up a Motorola SB5101 today.  Anything special I need to do to get it up and running, as far as Mediacom is concerned?  Can I just swap it in for the old one, or is there a 'registration' process?

MediacomJames

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 04:19:24 PM »
There is a process to get the modem registered for use with your internet service.  Once it is connected, the first time you try to open a web page you will be redirected to the Mediacom Service Activation page.  You will need to enter your account number and a registration code, which is the last 9 digits of your account number.  It will take you to a page where you will need to click on Swap Device.  It will then ask you for a technician number.  Enter "999999" and press swap.  You should then be good to go.  If that does not work for you let us know and we can provision the modem from here.

dsm563

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 03:34:43 PM »
Wow!  Installed the Motorola this morning, with minimal trouble.  Now getting 11.4 Mb or better consistently, from both speedtest.net and speakeasy.net.

Thanks for the help.

MediacomJames

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 03:36:38 PM »
No problem, I'm glad it is working well for you now.  Let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.