Author Topic: Mediacom DNS servers  (Read 8119 times)

jlangholzj

• View Profile
Mediacom DNS servers
« on: December 04, 2010, 04:31:31 PM »
Could one of the moderators let me know what mediacoms DNS servers are? I'm in brookings SD.

At the end of summer our internet took a sudden drop in speed. Previous to we were seeing about 11.8 Mbps but it dropped down to a steady 1.2 or so. About 2-3 weeks ago I switched to the old standby 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.1 servers and it brought speeds back to the 12 Mbps mark but speed was sparatic. ie, sometimes good, sometimes not.

Just today I switched to an Open DNS server and we're not seeing anything above 2Mbps.

Testing the computer directly connected to the modem shows that we are receiving a 12Mbps signal and as a result I believe it is our current DNS.

I'm guessing someone out there knows a good DNS server i could use?

thanks

MediacomWes

Re: Mediacom DNS servers
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 04:40:44 PM »
Probably your best bet as our DNS server IP's are subject to change would be to set your router/computer to automatically acquire the DNS server addresses.  This should grab the correct servers and keep them current if there are ever any changes.  Let me know if this is what you needed or if I can help out any more :)

MediacomWes

Re: Mediacom DNS servers
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 08:07:44 PM »
Additionally - generally speaking a DNS issue is only going to cause slight delays initially if a site is slow to resolve.  By the time you are far enough into a website to run speed tests you are no longer at a level where your DNS server is going to factor in.  If you did not mind, please send me a PM with your account number or the telephone number on your account and I can gladly take a look at the signal levels and connection from this end.