Author Topic: Slow Speeds Ridgecrest, CA  (Read 518 times)

New Subscriber

• View Profile
Slow Speeds Ridgecrest, CA
« on: March 24, 2012, 11:01:11 PM »
Can I ask what part of Ridgecrest you live in?  We just had service installed today and I'm already unhappy.  After installing the tech ran a speed test and we were getting 13.3; thrilled after having Verizon 3.0 for so long.  An hour later we were down to 2.5 and an hour after that it was only 1.8.  We seem to fluctuate between 1 and 5 and this is only the first day.  My dilemma is...do I hope that Mediacom can work this out or simply go back to Verizon?  I haven't closed out Verizon yet and I have 30 days to cancel Mediacom.  I had really hoped this would work out because a friend who lives only a few blocks away loves his cable service.  After reading your posts I am afraid I may have to cancel and stick with DSL. 

MediacomTim

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Slow Speeds Ridgecrest, CA
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 11:05:44 PM »
I will be happy to take a look at the signals on your modem to see why your speeds dropped so much after the tech left. Can you send me a Personal message with your account or phone number so I can look up your account?

New Subscriber

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 11:15:25 PM »
Sent the information you requested.  Again, we just signed up for service today.  Had I read the forums for my area earlier, I may not have made the same decision.

MediacomTim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 11:19:43 PM »
I'll look at the modem and see what I can do.

MediacomJames

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 04:09:08 PM »
We are working on getting the speed issue fixed in the area.  We have already upgraded some areas in Ridgecrest and have seen a great improvement in the speeds, and we do have the plans in place to upgrade the rest of the area.

New Subscriber

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 04:34:35 PM »
Well, thanks for the update but that doesn't really help me at all.  "Plans to update the rest of the area" could take weeks, months, or years.  I think it's best that I stay with Verizon, who is at least dependable, until Mediacom HAS updated the rest of the area.  By the way, I currently have no internet service at the moment.  Not sure what's going on with Mediacom but I had to hook up Verizon again just to get online today.  I hope Mediacom is eventually able to work out the issues but I need internet connectivity now. 

MediacomJames

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 04:45:47 PM »
The modem is currently showing online, and I am not showing any issues in the area.  Unfortunately I do not have an exact time frame for the upgrades, but I can contact the area management to get an estimated date if you would like.

New Subscriber

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 08:58:17 PM »
I guess that's a good thing but I really don't see how it is possible.  I packed up the modem early this morning and put it back in it's box.  I will be returning it to Mediacom tomorrow morning.  There must be issues in this area in spite of what you can see because my neighbor has been using my computer all afternoon (she has Mediacom and it is currently not working).

MediacomJames

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 09:06:47 PM »
We must have the incorrect modem listed on your account, as the modem listed was brought online yesterday, and was not disconnected until between 2 and 3 hours ago.  If you would like to PM me the MAC address of the modem that you packed up I can verify of there was an issue earlier or not.