Author Topic: Bad Internet Connection - Old Modem  (Read 564 times)

jadawley

• View Profile
Bad Internet Connection - Old Modem
« on: December 24, 2011, 10:17:27 AM »
I have been having trouble with inconsistent internet connections.  It's either slow or won't connect at all.  It works for awhile after power cycling the modem.  I have the original modem I've had for 10 years.  Now that Mediacom is again charging the $5 monthly fee, I'm thinking or replacing it with my own modem.

How do I do that?  Do I need to worry about what kind of modem to buy?  My local Staples has the Motorola 6121.

MediacomDrew

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Internet Connection - Old Modem
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 10:23:55 AM »
Hi, thanks for posting!  for the most part, you won't have to worry about compatibility issues in purchasing a modem.  All DOCSIS 2.0 modems will work, no problems.  While not 100% verified functional, a broad line-up of newer DOCSIS 3.0 modems will do the trick as well.  The Motorola 6121 in particular, while not technically supported, is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem that has been known to work on our systems without trouble.  Once you pick up a modem, we can register it.  Return the other modem to your local office or we can send out a pre-paid box to return it and we can then waive the $5 lease fee as well.

jadawley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 10:26:37 AM »
How do I register the modem? 

MediacomDrew

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 10:33:52 AM »
Well once you get the new, you can send one of us a quick personal message with your MAC (this will be on a sticker on the modem).  With that we can register it.  You can also do it yourself by first going here: https://maestro.mediacomcc.com/walledgarden/  You will need to "log in" using your 16-digit account number and your registration code (the last 9 digits of your account number).  From here your service list will display.  Click on the 'Swap device' or 'Activate device' button and input the modems MAC address there.  It may ask you for a tech number as well, which is 99999.