Author Topic: Approved list of Modems  (Read 1758 times)

KRay1024

• View Profile
Approved list of Modems
« on: November 23, 2011, 08:17:04 PM »
I just got Medicom Online today (the base package 12/1.) I am planning to get my own modem. I would like to buy a wireless modem. I am looking for a list of some type of modems that are approved. I've found other posts that discuss potential modems, but the latest post I found was from April.

The other posts that I read suggested that it would be better NOT to get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Is that true? When I asked the tech about it today, he said that 3.0 was better. That is probably somewhat obvious, but if it doesn't work well with the regular Online plan, then it won't be better for me.

I've read on more general networking websites that I needed to get 3.0 because 2.0 was almost obsolete, slower, etc., but what I read on here was that the base Online package did not work as well with the 3.0.

The modems I am looking at are all in the Motorola Surfboard Group.
Motorola SBG900, SBG901 (these are 2.0)
Motorola SBG6580 (this is 3.0)

any help would be greatly appreciated

MediacomDavid

• View Profile
Re: Approved list of Modems
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 08:30:15 PM »
KRay1024,

Thank you for joining our forums.  With the 12/1 package you will not see any improvement in speed when using a Docsis 3.0 modem. Furthermore a Docsis 3.0 modem is backwards compatible with Docisis 2 and you should not see any difference in the service when using a Docsis 3.0 modem. 

There is no limitation on what modem you can use that is Docsis 2 with our service.  However we do have a list of modems we support when it comes to Docsis 3.0. Currently the SBG6580 is supported by us and should work just fine with the 12/1 service.

KRay1024

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 08:48:19 PM »
Wow. That was quick, awesome, and very helpful. If I get a wireless 2.0 modem, then I should be good to go. I did notice the modem that I was left with is 2.0. The tech wired it through my computer, but not through my router. When I tried to use the router, it wouldn't work. The router is at least 5 years old, so I just planned to get a wireless modem instead. Is there any reason though why the router wouldn't work (besides just being out of date.) Any special settings specific to Mediacom? I've always had DSL, so I'm new to Cable modems.

thanks again

MediacomDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 09:03:20 PM »
  You may be having trouble connecting your wireless router due to the mac memory on the modem. Be sure that whenever you change devices you connect your modem to you power cycle the modem before doing so.  This will clear the mac memory and allow the modem to detect the new device. 

If your previous DSL provider used a static IP address and you have your router set up with a static IP you will need to either factory reset your router or set your router to use a dynamic IP address. Our service runs on a dynamic IP address system and all settings should be set to automatically detect.

KRay1024

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 09:38:52 PM »
Oh my. That was quick as well. Thanks again for all your help. I was a little worried about Mediacom because the things that I heard were along the lines of 'internet if fast, but customer support is poor.' My experience so far has been excellent. If there is somewhere I can go (or some email I can send) to say how good of a job you're doing, please let me know.

MediacomDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 09:43:17 PM »
Thank you for the kind words. If you would like you can send us your comments by clicking this link here.

KRay1024

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 01:14:10 AM »
I sent an email to the customer support people telling them of my positive experience.

thanks again

MediacomDallas

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 06:08:28 AM »
Thanks! I hope you have a nice Thanksgiving.

Twister18

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 10:47:37 AM »
Is there any modems and Not gateways that you would recommend? I have the Ultra 50 and have been having trouble with the Cisco modems and the gateway that i have now not working with XBox Live. I would use a Netgear N750 as my wireless router.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 10:55:30 AM by Twister18 »

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 10:58:35 AM »
For DOCSIS 3, the easiest modems to get your hands on are the Motorola SB6120 and SB6121. We also support the Cisco DPC3000. All 3 of these are modems without a wireless router built in.

Twister18

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 12:17:22 PM »
Awesome! TY

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 12:19:03 PM »
No problem. Let us know if you need anything else!

KinkyCookies

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 07:47:07 PM »
For DOCSIS 3, the easiest modems to get your hands on are the Motorola SB6120 and SB6121. We also support the Cisco DPC3000. All 3 of these are modems without a wireless router built in.

I have tried twice with two brand new Motorola SB6120 modems and could not get either one of them to go online with Technical support.  They told me that you guys don't support the SB6120 and that they DO NOT push firmware through to it.  They essentially told me I had a paperweight.  Why the conflicting stories on this modem.  Why can't I successfully provision these?

MediacomTom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 07:51:33 PM »
We can always try to push firmware to Docsis 3.0 modems per request, but if it was not given to you by us we cannot guarantee it will work 100%.

Any Docsis 2.0 broadband cable modem will work without issue. These problems only apply to some Docsis 3.0 modems.

KinkyCookies

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 07:54:41 PM »
Well it sounds like you don't have nay problem with the SB6120.  Why would me owning it make any difference?

MediacomDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 08:04:40 PM »
As Tom stated we do have firmware we can attempt to push to the SB6120 however we are unable to guarantee that this will work 100% of the time.  DOCSIS 3.0 modems issues by us have verified working firmware versions that are pre-loaded on them before being sent out for installation.