Author Topic: Amazing! but I have questions...  (Read 386 times)

Lworkman3

• View Profile
Amazing! but I have questions...
« on: April 06, 2012, 07:34:39 AM »

I'm probably screwing myself for bring this up, but how is this possible when I pay for 12Mbps down. In no way am I complaining; these speeds are nothing short of but amazing - whatever ya'll have done, keep it up. Also, I live in Tennessee and speedtest.net places me in D.C. area. Once in awhile they put me in different locations, however I've always wondered why and how this happens. Is it them or is Mediacom re-routing my internet traffic?

MediacomDallas

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing! but I have questions...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 07:39:48 AM »
The recommended speedtest location is based off a 3rd party geolocation database. This uses your IP address to guess where you're located but doesn't have any effect on your routing. In most cases where it's guessing wrong, the address block was once leased to customers in the area the site is showing.

In regards to the speeds, can't complain too much there :). DOCSIS 3 modems will bond to multiple downstream channels and uses a 'speedboost' technology which allows you to use whatever bandwidth is available for a short amount of time.

Lworkman3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 08:00:08 AM »
Excuse my language, but holy $h!t.  I do have my own, personally bought, Motorola surfboard SB6121 Docsis 3.0 Modem. The Down-link light has always been 'green' but after you just mention about "bonding multiple channels" I noticed the Down-link, and ONLY the Down-link, light is 'blue' which I believe that means there's some good bonding going on ;)

I bought this modem almost a year ago hoping my area would be upgraded to support Docsis 3.0; Do you know of any enhancement or changes that's happened in my area that would allow me to see these speeds and have the blue light show up on my modem, or is this a sign that the "times are a changing" and this could be a test for things to become common place?

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 08:03:55 AM »
There have been changes made network wide to allow customers in DOCSIS3 compatible systems with D3 modems to utilize the multiple channels. This was in a trial period for a little while but I believe it's here to stay now.

Lworkman3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 08:17:36 AM »
Sweet! As always, thanks for the speed replies. You guys are the best. I'll go and enjoy these speeds for as long as these last and leave you all alone so you may assist others with proper issues.

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 08:19:15 AM »
haha no worries at all. It's actually nice to hear when things are working right!