Author Topic: Internet speed fluctuations  (Read 1819 times)

MediacomTom

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Internet speed fluctuations
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 04:41:42 PM »
Very glad to hear that. Please keep us posted if you have any other issues.

Ro_man

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 05:08:28 PM »
I have been experiencing lag spikes since that last large outage on Tuesday I think it was. Whats up?

-Ro

MediacomTim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 05:11:05 PM »
I'll take a look and see what is going on. What speeds are you getting, and does it do it at certain times during the day?

Ro_man

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 05:28:16 PM »
Its probably a little worse in the evening from like 3-8... then it seems to get better. The connection just goes dark (speed 0.00 m/s) for a few seconds varying between 5-15 sec. Then packets start flyin' again.

-Ro

MediacomTim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 05:42:19 PM »
I'm not seeing any issues with the modem that would cause it to go out the way it is, especially for that small amount of time.

Ro_man

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 07:16:01 PM »
I can send you my wireshark data if you wish.... I'm watching half my packets die. I can send it in plain txt doc and a few other formats.

.ps
.cvs
.psml
.pdml
.c

Thanks
 -Ro
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 07:20:33 PM by Ro_man »

MediacomTim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2012, 07:24:35 PM »
We can get a tech out to investigate and see what is going on. I am checking the modem again, and I'm still not showing any issues.

Ro_man

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 07:35:35 PM »
Sigh...... well... can you help me find out why half the dead packets I have are from  69.164.7.55 and 173.31.106.55  Is it my system sending these fail packets or is there a "local network utilization" problem?

Thx
Ro

MediacomTim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 07:42:52 PM »
are you going through a wireless router?

Ro_man

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2012, 07:45:11 PM »
A password protected router yes.... I am resetting my router and password now to see if it stops.

Thx,
Ro

7:50 still happening
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 07:50:50 PM by Ro_man »

MediacomTim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2012, 07:46:12 PM »
Let me know what you get when you finish.

Ro_man

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2012, 08:07:12 PM »
Was done 10 min ago... and I'm still watching dead packets. I'm connected on Skype to another of your customs that is having no problems at all w/ lag. Only difference... they are closer to Burlington where I think one of your data centers is located. Is the prob between me and a relay or something? Videos and things run fine.... watching Hulu right now and things only lag if I start something new... until the buffer fills.... eventually. But, gaming is futile waste of time.

Thx,
Ro

ps  still pulling wireshark data
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:09:00 PM by Ro_man »

MediacomTim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2012, 08:13:33 PM »
It sounds like it may be in the lines. But you should be able to do more than one thing at a time with no issues. I recommend getting a tech out to investigate.

Ro_man

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2012, 08:37:40 PM »
Going to try something... I'm going to call my cell on the house phone that runs though the same line and see if there is a discrepancy. If my phone call is dropped (btw got 4 bars on my phone... it may be lower bit rate but, if there is a prob w/ the line it will either drop the call or have tons of static right?). Yes, I will check cell phone for signal strength during a DC or lag spike. So... dialing.... picking up.... and watching packets. Whats the deal w/ the DC on Tue someone dig up a line or something? Did whatever you guys repair have some signal degradation till a perm fix or what? I am still waiting for my call to connect.... redialing though tons of static on a non wireless phone.  Connected on second try... and still tons of static.

MediacomTim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2012, 08:41:10 PM »
If there is still static, then it is an issue with our line.

Ro_man

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2012, 08:48:40 PM »
If I supply the data from my end and you compare it w/ yours can you find where the prob is?

-Ro

MediacomTim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2012, 08:49:42 PM »
We can see that there is a problem here. In order to see where it is, someone has to come out.

Ro_man

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2012, 09:06:43 PM »
Soo..... if/when a service technician comes out (MCom van of yours is about 5 blocks away btw). At what points does he test. The line that connects to the house and the modem?

-Ro

MediacomTim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2012, 09:13:21 PM »
They will check between the pole and your house. If there are any issues any farther than that, they refer the issue to maintenance.

Ro_man

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2012, 09:40:14 PM »
All right cool... If I don't have to be here for them to test things they by all means test away. But, please don't tell me its a "network utilization error." You guys are dumping the analog channels on cable.... cuts the data in half for basic TV (thanks for digital signals:) allowing all of these bandwidth upgrades that you have been advertising, which I am thinking about getting, once old school cable is gone and more bandwidth is actually feasible. If you guys have a temp repair in place to maintain internet connections (after Tuesdays 7+ hour down time) while new more sustainable connections are made just gimme a wink/nudge or w/e. I know sometimes a quick fix to sustain basic services are necessary.  I also am just now thinking about how you guys might be keeping info from be for security reasons. Also I know that no matter how much I trolol I might never get a straight answer. Tim might just be a script.... or reading a flow chart/ script. <3 U Tim hope you are real and I wish you well bro. But, I'm just going to ask not to be treated like a fool.... I know enough too secure my wireless against wardrivers or near by neighbors.

So test away guys, just let me know if you need me to be here to wait for a tech.

Thanks for taking the time to read,
-Ro_man

PS Saving Wireshark data.... Which I started on the second or third post from tonight.... tell me if you want it... I'll check this again maybe once more tonight... if not tomorrow. Soooo... wish I could screen cap so you could see what is happening. :P
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:48:43 PM by Ro_man »