Author Topic: Sparks fly from coaxial cable  (Read 942 times)

Blackstone

• View Profile
Sparks fly from coaxial cable
« on: October 31, 2011, 03:07:58 PM »
Recently I moved my Mediacom service after closing on a house.  The Mediacom installer (contractor?) installed the coaxial cable with a splitter for internet and cable TV.  While attempting install the coaxial cable from the cable box to the TV a brilliant blue electrical arc was created when the cable touched the TV.  Twice.  It also arced when he touched the coaxial cable to the splitter box.  He indicated he would let Mediacom know.  That was over a week ago. 

The internet connection appears fine with no apparent problems. Some background is in order:  This is an older house 1931, but it recently had new GFCI outlets installed where the TV and cable box were both connected through a surge protector.  The GFCI did not trip.  The TV seems to operate well on its own, although I haven't hooked up an antenna.  Currently, I am without cable TV service, and am finding it pretty liberating.  However, that does not make up for the fact that Mediacom did not finish the installation/cable TV move we agreed to, and may have left a potentially hazardous situation in my home. 

MediacomCarson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sparks fly from coaxial cable
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 03:18:02 PM »
I apologize for the trouble and inconvenience.  I would like to get someone out to fix the installation job the original tech did.  I will also email this up to the local tech supervisors in hopes of getting a senior technician out on the job.  Please DM me your account information and I will see what we have available.  Thank you.

MediacomCarson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 04:10:13 PM »
Thank you for the information, I will PM you the details.

MediacomDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 08:16:24 PM »
Hi Blackstone,

I see the trouble call has been completed. How is everything going now?

Blackstone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 12:16:40 PM »
Yes.  The service techs were great.  They/we figured out it was the TV.  Bought a Samsung at Sam's this morning and it's working like a champ.  Thanks, and a special thanks to the Mediacom techs who figured out the problem, and got shocked in the process, and made sure the cable coming into the house was up to speed. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 12:18:17 PM by Blackstone »

MediacomDallas

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 12:18:10 PM »
Good to hear. Please let us know if you run into any more issues.