Author Topic: Slow internet in Madison/Harvest, AL  (Read 11360 times)

ShaggyTDawg

• View Profile
Slow internet in Madison/Harvest, AL
« on: October 19, 2011, 11:07:26 PM »
My internet has been painfully slow for the last few weeks. I've run speed test every hour for a full day and never got any higher than 8 Mbps. It's usually no higher than 2 Mbps down. Upload speed has been about what I pay for I'm pretty sure.

As far as I know, I pay for 20 down / 2 up.

This is what I'm getting:

MediacomBill

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Slow internet in Madison/Harvest, AL
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 07:31:11 AM »
I apologize for the slow speeds.  The fact that you are saying that you never get the 20/2 speed indicates that there is more than an area utilization issue here. 

Please send me your account information via personal message by clicking the voice bubble on the left of this post.

ShaggyTDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 06:52:59 PM »
Information sent.

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 07:05:48 PM »
I show the downstream received signal at your modem is coming in very strong. This can cause issues similar to when you turn a stereo up too loud and the audio starts to get distorted. I also see the SNR is a little low too. You can add a splitter between the modem and the wall; that will decrease the signal a bit but it will also increase the noise too. It would be best to have tech stop by to adjust this. Is it alright if I set that up?

ShaggyTDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 11:20:57 PM »
Sure, do they work on weekends by chance?

MediacomBill

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 07:55:42 AM »
I see there is a weekday appointment on your account already I will PM you the details.

ShaggyTDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 07:48:14 PM »
The tech missed the appointment. When I talked to him on the phone, he said he does some jobs on the weekend. When I talked to the customer support line, they said they can't schedule a weekend job in my area. I finally got ahold of a supervisor that said he could send a message to some "quota group" or something that oversees the technicians, and ask them if there is a way to schedule a weekend job.

Sorry, but I can't afford to sit around and have techs miss appointments (they've done this a number of times for me) on week days. I'll sit around all day on a weekend though.

MediacomMatt

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 08:06:25 PM »
Sent you a PM regarding available trouble call times.

ShaggyTDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 08:20:46 PM »
My reply to Matt's PM (I chose to do this where others can see it on purpose, similar to magblast's little adventure   <---That's a link, click it!!!)

The weekday will not work. I have customers I have to support as well. My boss and my customers are going to laugh at me and give me all sorts of grief if I tell them I have to miss deadlines because I chose to sit around my house and wait for the cable guy to (maybe) show up.

The tech who was supposed to come to my house today did call me... and he did say he does jobs on the weekend. If I hadn't been focusing on driving to work (a full hour after he was supposed to have been at my house) I could've unblocked his number and easily called him back myself to ask him if he could do a job on the weekend. He seemed like a nice enough guy.

But now I'm stuck with <switches over to speedtest.net> ...

3.6 Mbps.... I pay for 20Mbps... so 18% of what I pay for... and that's kinda high for my tests lately. And I can't get a tech out to my house while I'm there b/c I'm a white collar 8-5 worker (And I promise, it's no slouch of a job) and a computer system says no weekends b/c some guy at a desk in a state a thousand miles away says no weekend work for the guy who was 5 minutes away saying he does weekend work.

Spectacular.

MediacomMatt

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 08:25:50 PM »
The information about the weekend time frame came from dispatch. I can email the information to a quota contact member and see if they have something they can open up for you and get back in touch with you when we get that info.

ShaggyTDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 08:29:27 PM »
Anything I can get on a weekend will be fine. I don't care if it's not this weekend either... Given that magblast has been battling similar speeds for 8 months... my expectations are a bit low on response time anyway.

MediacomMatt

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 08:36:38 PM »
I emailed the info to the quota contact, and will let you know once I hear something from them.

MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 01:57:56 PM »
We're still working to see if we can get a weekend appointment, but I noticed that the job had been cancelled.  I just wanted to let you know that we are still looking into a weekend appt. and can create a new job if need be.

ShaggyTDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 07:46:12 PM »
Just an occasional update...

MediacomMatt

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 07:49:51 PM »
Check your speeds from the Atlanta server for me please and let me know if that's any different.

ShaggyTDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 07:52:36 PM »
No real difference:

Atlanta:

Nashville:

MediacomMatt

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 08:12:58 PM »
Sent PM about trouble call times.

ShaggyTDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 07:39:24 PM »
Weekend appointment obtained! They'll be here anytime between 8am and 5pm tomorrow. Big range, but not a big deal since it's a weekend.

And just for the record, my bandwidth the night before they come:

Will post my speeds after the service appointment.

MediacomDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2011, 07:45:15 PM »
Thanks for the update ShaggyTDawg. I'm glad we were able to get someone out this weekend for you. We will follow up with you once the tech has been out there and see how everything is.

ShaggyTDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 10:51:46 AM »
Just got the call from the technician, he'll be here in 10-15 minutes. A last minute update before the appointment with a surprisingly high result