Author Topic: High BW Loss outside of Huntsville, AL  (Read 5026 times)

MediacomTom

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: High BW Loss outside of Huntsville, AL
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2011, 09:27:47 PM »
Unfortunately the infrastructure work is still in progress. Once completed it should heavily improve your speeds both on and off peak hours.

MediacomTom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2011, 09:30:55 PM »
The issue has been escalated up to the area Supervisor and is being worked on. Unfortunately there is nothing more we can do from here until the field work has been done.

MediacomBill

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 08:58:12 AM »
I wanted to check with you on how your speeds were now.

WastingBody

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011, 07:21:43 PM »

MediacomDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 07:26:28 PM »
I apologize you're still having speed problems, let me look into this for you.

MediacomDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 07:38:15 PM »
I looked into the issue you have been having and it appears they are still working on the issue.  I have sent this back up to your local Tech Supervisor to see if we can get a better idea of an exact date for repair. Also we are in the process of upgrading the equipment for your area which should increase speeds as well.

ShaggyTDawg

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 07:52:39 PM »
Hi guys. Yet another in the Huntsville area with oddly similar problems. I live in the Harvest/Capshaw area. In my thread (link here) they also said my SNR was low and I was also told my modem's signal was actually too strong...

Although earlier in this thread they said +20 to +24dB SNR was low and they were shooting for +28dB. My modem reports I have an SNR of 38dB which I assume should be the same SNR they see on their end since I'm just the node on the other end of the line. SNR should be the same on both ends...

None the less, seeing that 3 others in the area are having the same problem... And these problems are relatively recent (probably on the scales of months, definitely not years)... It does sound like there are some problems locally. Wouldn't surprise me if maybe they never fully recovered from the April storms or something like that.

I have an appointment tomorrow (for the record, they do Saturday appointments in the Huntsville area... don't let them tell you they don't if you can't do a weekday appointment b/c you have a job...). Hopefully something will come of this appointment, but given what I've read here... I'm not holding my breath... looks like I may be demanding a credit for my account on a monthly basis if it doesn't get resolved...

MediacomDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 08:01:41 PM »
Hey ShaggyTDawg, 
   Currently your modem is not on the same node that is having the area problems.  I show your modem currently having an upstream SNR of 28.00db.  Your Upstream TX power looks to be 38.00dbmv which might be what you saw. Once the technician rules out any signal issues at the home we will look further into possible area issues.

MediacomCarson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 04:18:56 PM »
WastingBody, How has the service been running?  I show the signals are looking much better.  There is a utilization issue which I am trying to get more information on and we will keep you posted but the signals over all are looking better.

WastingBody

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2011, 10:47:31 AM »
I wouldn't say it's any better at all. If anything it got worse. As of right now it is impossible to view any images beyond thumbnails. They simply stop loading, displaying an error about errors in the image.

I ran these reasonably close together. Ping is inconsistent, bandwidth is inconsistent, and I think service cut out for a very short time during the upload test of the last SpeedTest. I would have gone to PingTest, but the website never loaded enough to run the test.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1575091213.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1575097506.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1575099734.png

I also tried connecting my laptop directly to the modem. I wasn't even able to get to SpeedTest.net or Pingtest.net. Only the background was loaded, nothing else.

Three more SpeedTests after reconnecting the router using a different SpeedTest host. Again bandwidth and ping are inconsistent even though they are seconds apart. The graph of the bandwidth is also very jagged when the SpeedTest is running.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1575137933.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1575140202.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1575141420.png

MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2011, 10:54:10 AM »
I've taken these results and forwarded them on to the TOS.  As was said, fixes were made and signals look better, but this bears re-reporting.  We are still awaiting further information on the utilization issue, but addressing the signal issues and keeping them where they belong would definitely help the situation as well.  We will be in touch here when we have more information.

WastingBody

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2011, 11:05:21 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up.

MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2011, 11:08:05 AM »
No problem at all, thanks for the update post.

WastingBody

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2011, 12:01:36 PM »
I've had this problem recently where my ping jumps through the roof. It is fixed by restarting the modem. It has happened a few times over the weekend.

Here are the SpeedTest results.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1577040423.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1577044099.png

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2011, 12:09:26 PM »
I see the modem just reset a few minutes ago. After the reset happens, the speed and ping tests look decent correct?

WastingBody

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2011, 12:38:03 PM »
Yes, after reset it's back to normal.

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2011, 12:41:30 PM »
I just want to cover all my bases here, has that modem been replaced since you started having problems?

WastingBody

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2011, 01:00:43 PM »
Yes it has. We've also had a new cable ran to the pole, and have had all of the cable connectors replaced. The modem was replaced recently while the cable stuff was done before that.

It also appears that reseting the modem to fix the high ping was just a fluke; it did not fix it again. As of this moment I am consistently getting pings between 400ms and 2000ms, and there is nothing that I can do about it. After about 15 minutes of that it appears to go back to normal.

MediacomTommyF

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2011, 02:03:13 PM »
Thank you for the information. We have sent a email to the Technical Operations Supervisor concerning your issue and when we get more information we will let you know.

MediacomBill

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2011, 08:45:16 AM »
Wastingbody, the area fix requires the the building of a new headend in your area.  We are currently accepting bids on the building that will will house it.  The earliest it will be completed in February 2012.  I wanted to let you know as soon as I did.