Author Topic: High BW Loss outside of Huntsville, AL  (Read 5034 times)

WastingBody

• View Profile
High BW Loss outside of Huntsville, AL
« on: October 02, 2011, 08:58:44 PM »
I live in Meridianville, AL just outside of Huntsville, AL. I have reported the problem a few times, and a tech has been sent out before. The frequent disconnects and poor cable quality seem to have stopped with the most recent visit, but the terribly slow internet speeds have remained.

Here is a SpeedTest result at a bad time, and I've seen much worse results.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1513541413.png

My ping is usually around 45 ms to that SpeedTest server, and I should be getting 25 mbps down, 2 up. During what I believe to be off-peak times the internet speeds are usually around 13 mbps. Only rarely will I ever see it jump up above 20 mbps. The results are never consistent either. Every SpeedTest is always off from the previous.

From what I have looked at, the signal seems fine on the modem, and it's definitely not a problem with the router as I have connected my laptop directly to the modem to get the same results.

I understand that this may be a over-subscription problem, but the high pings and ultra slow speeds are unacceptable. It makes any online game nearly impossible to play during the peak hours.

Everyone that I game with locally also has Mediacom, and I hear all of the same complaints about their internet as what I have already said. I also commonly have roughly the same ping as people in the UK to servers in the US.

I am considering switching to Comcast as it's the only other option in the area, but I don't know if they will be any better, but if the internet doesn't improve, anything will be better.

MediacomDallas

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: High BW Loss outside of Huntsville, AL
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 09:03:55 PM »
I apologize for the problems you have had with the connection. There are multiple things that can cause this type of issue. If you can PM me your phone number or account number I'll be happy to look into this.

comanche1313

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 09:34:39 PM »
Dont hold your breath for it to get fixed. I am complaining now since July and it still sucks. Paying for 12gb and 4 to 5. Not even half of what I pay for. Mine will test out good about twice a day and if you don't take advantage of when it is good you cant download ****.

sorry to high jack your thread.

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 09:42:51 PM »
Thanks for your input. We are constantly working to improve every aspect of our network. We will address any issues that come up as quickly as possible.

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 10:57:36 AM »
I got your account info, thanks. I see an issue with the return signal-to-noise ratio on your particular node. I don't have any information for this particular area regarding what's being done, so I'll send a message up to the local technical supervisor to see what the situation is. We will keep you posted once we know more.

WastingBody

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 12:42:26 PM »
Thanks a lot.

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
Not a problem at all.

bsbjrn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 12:57:01 PM »
Wow - I had just posted the same complaint!  I actually am in your same area - I posted for Huntsville - which is the 'main' area.  This is the same identical problem for me.  I have have had several techs to come in and two techs tell me my equipment and 'inside' lines are fine - that the 'surges' through their (Mediacom's) lines are what the problem is - and this will continue to kick me off-line until they 'fix' it.   I am also a gamer - which really really impedes my playtime - as well as my business time.  Hope we can 'push' to get this resolved.  I have also entertained the idea of switching to another - but, I have had Mediacom for years - and seems this is all within the last 10 months that I'm having this same issue. 

Thanks,
BJ

WastingBody

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 01:01:09 PM »
Wow - I had just posted the same complaint!  I actually am in your same area - I posted for Huntsville - which is the 'main' area.  This is the same identical problem for me.  I have have had several techs to come in and two techs tell me my equipment and 'inside' lines are fine - that the 'surges' through their (Mediacom's) lines are what the problem is - and this will continue to kick me off-line until they 'fix' it.   I am also a gamer - which really really impedes my playtime - as well as my business time.  Hope we can 'push' to get this resolved.  I have also entertained the idea of switching to another - but, I have had Mediacom for years - and seems this is all within the last 10 months that I'm having this same issue. 

Thanks,
BJ

Hopefully we can actually get somewhere. I host a small website for a few people as well as play quite a few games, so the downtime really is a pain.

bsbjrn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 01:06:58 PM »
I've been recording my "pings" and up-and-down loads  for several months - which consistently sucks.  My average ping is 45, downloads averaging 6-14, and uploads 8.  I am paying for the fastest speed available from Mediacom. Hopefully...especially since we have MediacomDallas with us... we can get an extra push to get this resolved. 

:)   BJ

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 01:08:39 PM »
WastingBody - I just received a message back. They have been working in the area for a few weeks and made a few small improvements. The ultimate fix is going to be replacing the actual node in in the field which will take another 3-4 weeks.

WastingBody

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 01:24:18 PM »
So in 3 to 4 weeks do you thing we should expect everything to be perfect or just acceptable? Also, is there any way to know exactly when this replacement is going to happen so that I know if the situation is actually improved for me?

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 01:34:56 PM »
The new equipment should bring the area SNR up to an acceptable level (28dB+). There is always noise on any communications line so it's not going to be perfect. Yours has been averaging around 23-24dB.

We will keep an eye on this and if any more information comes through, we'll let you know.

WastingBody

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 11:21:50 AM »
I just thought I should post these. It's just a normal Saturday morning/afternoon.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1523823406.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1523826528.png

As you can see from these SpeedTest results, the internet goes from unusable to barely usable every few minutes.

MediacomBill

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 11:38:10 AM »
Thank you for that info.  I will make sure your ticket is updated.  According to the Network Engineer we should see this improve as the nodes are split. 

WastingBody

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 09:06:16 PM »
Some more terrible results...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1527983969.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1527987985.png

This is getting in the way of work now. I need to download some large files. I get an estimated time remaining of, on average, of 18 hours. At the moment of posting, it's hopping around 30 to 50 hours. Now the file is only 3,676MB, and it's about 40% done at this point. Images stop loading on web pages as well. Half of the time I can't even view the SpeedTest results from the links.

It seems like this whole problem is getting worse.

Forbaken

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 09:14:41 PM »
I'm just outside of Huntsville too.. Monrovia to be exact. Glad to know its not just me in this area who is having problems that can't be fixed at all.

Just to let you know, they've been working on mine since June..
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 09:16:20 PM by Forbaken »

MediacomTom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 09:18:01 PM »
WastingBody,

If the download is running when the speed tests are also being run this will skew the results of the tests as well as throw off the download estimated time.

We are still waiting on the node split to be completed and barring no unforeseen problems we should be looking at this being completed before the end of the month.

WastingBody

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 09:21:12 PM »
I've done everything that I can do on my end as I always do before I post anything. Reseting the modem, reseting the router, and sometimes connecting a laptop directly to the modem. At least the technician that came out got rid of our constant disconnects and intermittently terrible cable quality.

WastingBody

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 09:25:14 PM »
WastingBody,

If the download is running when the speed tests are also being run this will skew the results of the tests as well as throw off the download estimated time.

We are still waiting on the node split to be completed and barring no unforeseen problems we should be looking at this being completed before the end of the month.

I am aware of that, and it was taken into consideration before posting. When those SpeedTests were run there should not have been anything else using the internet to transfer a substantial amount of data. I started the downloader after running the SpeedTest and before posting. Even then I don't think it would have mattered much.