Author Topic: High BW Loss outside of Huntsville, AL  (Read 5049 times)

MediacomBill

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: High BW Loss outside of Huntsville, AL
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
WastingBody they completed the maintenance work and the signals on your modem look much improved. How is your connection now?

WastingBody

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2012, 11:12:45 AM »
Phone service was out for the majority of the day yesterday (January 5th), and we had very slow internet speeds as well as a high ping. Although, at the moment everything seems fine.

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2012, 11:51:26 AM »
That's good to see. If the connection slows down in the future please let us know.

WastingBody

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
Our connection has slowed down, and I'm letting you know.

MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2012, 01:59:59 PM »
Signals look pretty good still, save a little bit of fluctuation I'm seeing in SNR today.  Have you powercycled all your equipment already.  If not, please give it a try and see if the levels improve at all.  I'm running a pingtest to the modem now.

WastingBody

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2012, 04:07:18 PM »
Power cycled the modem. Same results as before.

MediacomTom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2012, 04:44:04 PM »
It may be best to swap or replace this modem as there are no other factors showing on my side. Can you swap this modem out at your local office?

WastingBody

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2012, 05:09:55 PM »
The modem has already been replaced for the latest model. We had the same problem then. We have the same problem now. None of the techs that have come out recently have found any problems at our house. It is my belief that it is just related to the weather here.

On another note, our phone service has also been cutting out today to accompany the unusable internet.

MediacomTom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2012, 05:30:58 PM »
There does not seem to be a correlating signal problem and area utilization is below 70% so far tonight. Nothing on this end that I am seeing would cause that severe of a speed problem.

WastingBody

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2012, 10:28:24 PM »
It was pretty cold today. I also noticed that my internet was pretty bad today. I remembered seeing online somewhere that temperatures could have an effect on cable networks. I decided to use a relatively small sample to test this hypothesis.

I recorded the high, low, and average temperatures for each day so far in January (18th) from WolframAlpha. I also recorded the downstream and upstream bandwidth from the first SpeedTest that day. Some days were skipped, but that was because I never felt the need to check the bandwidth because everything was running fine. I graphed this data with LibreOffice Calc. I noticed that the lines sort of matched up. I then used LibreOffice's CORREL function to determine a correlation between the downstream bandwidth and the average, low, and high temperatures. For the average temperature I got a correlation of 0.615, which shows a weak correlation, but a correlation none the less. With the low temperature I got a correlation of 0.577, which is a little weaker. With the high temperature I got a correlation of 0.383, which is much weaker than with the average. If anyone wants to see the spreadsheet let me know, and I'll upload it.

Correlations
Average: 0.615
Low: 0.577
High: 0.383

In conclusion, I believe that there may be some relation between temperature and the network speed.

I do realize correlation does not equal causation, and that these results are not all inclusive or even accurate to any degree. It's always fun to do a little bit of statistics, or is that just me?

MediacomTom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2012, 10:38:25 PM »
Low temperatures do affect the cable line themselves since the core to the coaxial line is copper and is sensitive to heat or cold. The term involved in this is what is called "cable suck-out" and can quite literally pull the central pin of the cable cord so far back that it no longer touches the contact in the receiving port such as on the modem. The pin being completely pulled away is of course not likely except in rare occurrences, but the minor disruption on the cable cord can still cause problems not normally seen with the connection on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:55:16 PM by MediacomTom »

WastingBody

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2012, 10:44:12 PM »
I see.

WastingBody

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2012, 11:46:25 AM »
Our internet is still performing badly. We are not receiving all of the HD channels from the look of it, and the ones we do receive definitely don't look like they're HD. At least our phones work.

Do you really believe that the modem is at fault here? The fact that some of the HD channels don't come in makes me lean away from that conclusion.

I started Windows update ~8:00AM, it's now ~11:30AM, it's only 32% complete. It's only 264.4MB! :'(
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 11:50:50 AM by WastingBody »

MediacomBill

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2012, 12:04:29 PM »
Your correct the modem would have no effect on your HD channels.  Can we set up an appointment for you to check the signal? At the same time we can swap out that modem.

WastingBody

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2012, 08:52:07 PM »
That would be great.

MediacomJames

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2012, 09:07:23 PM »
I have sent you a PM with the details.

WastingBody

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2012, 11:24:21 AM »
Is there a reason why I cannot put the modem in another room? I tried to put it in another room, and the modem displayed a lower transmit power level. I believe it was in the upper forties. While, in its current location, it usually displays 53.5. As of this moment, it is displaying 55.0, and the internet is barely usable.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:44:01 AM by WastingBody »

MediacomBill

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2012, 11:28:02 AM »
There could be a number of reasons.  Is it an active outlet?  If it is what else draws off it?

Should be an easy fix for a tech one way or other.

WastingBody

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2012, 11:40:11 AM »
The outlet that I tried just has a tv on it. It doesn't have a cable box or anything else.

MediacomDrew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2012, 11:49:25 AM »
If a TV was hooked up, then it's definitely an active outlet.  Did the modem sync up at all on that outlet?