Author Topic: Cisco DPC3825 hard reset, default WPA password?  (Read 19025 times)

awhilliard

• View Profile
Cisco DPC3825 hard reset, default WPA password?
« on: September 16, 2011, 04:34:40 PM »
I'm helping my mom with her Mediacom Cisco wifi router setup today, and we've hit a problem. I went to change the wifi network SSID name through the Cisco Router settings (192.168.0.1), expecting to hit "login" with a default blank username and password. This didn't work.

Looking through this forum, I took a Mediacom Admin's advice to do a hard reset by holding down the reset button for 30 seconds, then unplug, then power up (all while continually holding the reset button). After the 90 seconds, I thought I'd be back to factory reset and could set up the system as needed. Not so.

Now, there is a default SSID wifi network created, and IT'S LOCKED! It has a name like "d95x88" (edited slightly for security purposes). This is weird and unexpected. I looked around online, but could find no default WPA password for the newly created ghost network. Now, I can't even log into the router using the "settings" page, and we can't even get online.

Any (quick!) help would be appreciated. This is frustrating. Thanks!

MediacomChrisL

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cisco DPC3825 hard reset, default WPA password?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 04:41:16 PM »
We had a problem with this earlier. I'm not sure why this model is a bit difficult to unlock. Here are a couple tips that will help

Unhook the cable modem from the coax cable...let it sit for about thirty seconds. Hook it back up and factory reset the modem one more time. Plug the computer into the modem and try going back to the 192.168.0.1 address and try logging in again. What I have found is releasing the coax cable seemed to help when I did this about 2 weeks ago.

I have tried to get more info from Cisco on what exactly causes the default login not to work, but haven't heard anything back yet.

Chris

awhilliard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 05:03:06 PM »
Thanks for the quick response! I managed to bypass the problem by plugging in via ethernet and logging into the router config page. Good news is, the 90-second reset did the trick. I'm now up and running, but still wonder why (as you say) the Cisco default wifi has a hidden password on it.

Thanks

MediacomChrisL

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 05:06:19 PM »
the default wifi password should be defaulted. Not sure why it wasn't for you.

Chris