Author Topic: Unable to do NetFlix and Online Game at same time  (Read 2450 times)

hkgal72

• View Profile
Unable to do NetFlix and Online Game at same time
« on: July 01, 2011, 01:05:01 PM »
I used to have the modem directly hard wired into the PC, and then upgraded to a super wireless Cisco router for multi-media for home use, including HD video streaming, online gaming, and music download etc., the PC works on but I cannot even do online gaming via PS3 because my connection speed for download and upload is much slower (1 MB or less most of the time via the Internet Connection test from the PS3 box) compared to other players, so I practically get freezes and lags in game actions all the time, making it impossible for anyone to play in the same session with me.  So i had the technician come out and move the modem to hard wire the PS3 and moved the wireless router near the modem, I see no improvement in my online gaming ability at all.  Now, what is worse is the Tivo Netflix streaming and PC video streaming can't even complete its download.  I tested this without PS3 being used nor any streaming on the PC, and Tivo Netflix is not able to play without a minute + pause every 30 secs of play.  I am very dissatisfied and have not been able to enjoy any of the media at home. 

A technical came out a month or so ago saying the signal coming into the house was weak, hence all the lost connections, after that was fixed, the lost connections were repaired, but the speed does not do seem acceptable at all.  Is there anything that can be done?  I live in LeRoy, IL.  Thanks.

MediacomDallas

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to do NetFlix and Online Game at same time
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 01:10:29 PM »
The problem you're describing does sound like some type of signal problem to the modem. I would like to take a look at the connection from this end. Can you PM me your phone number or account number?

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 01:23:42 PM »
I see the return signal-to-noise ratio has been a little low recently, but it isn't way out of range at the moment. Do you see these slow speeds all of the time? Also, what kind of speeds do you get from the PC?

hkgal72

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 01:53:07 PM »
It seems that on the PS3, it's mostly hovering around 1 to 2 MB download speed and occasionally (usually in the morning) may kick up to 3-4MB range for a short while.  For the PC, weekend day time seems better, week night has been slow.  The Tivo Netflix streaming for the instant queue was so choppy it was unviewable.  I will be home in a little bit and I will post the result of the home PC internet test for your review.  Thanks!

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 02:00:04 PM »
Sounds good, let me know that runs. We may need to escalate this and have another tech stop by to look at the signal to the house

hkgal72

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 03:12:21 PM »
Right now, not a busy time yet, after re-cycling the modem and the router, the hard wired PS3 from a connection test standpoint receives 4.3Mbps download and 838kbps upload.  The home PC via router receives 11.41Mbps download and 0.93 Mbps upload.  I also tested Netflix via Tivo, looks like the streaming is working for now. 

These stats are from speedtest.net.  If you can check to see if during peak time such as evening and weekend if there are utilization issues within the area, that will be great.  I will monitor night time and weekend and report back as well.  I hate to say just because right this moment it seems to be working and assume the slow speed is resolved.  The online gaming is still a problem :( .  Thank you.

MediacomChrisL

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 03:14:06 PM »
If you could get back with us when the problem occurs, we can check the utilization live and we will get a better grasp as to what is going on.

Chris

hkgal72

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 11:12:56 PM »
The connection problem is extremely bad tonight affecting my ability to do online gaming via Playstation 3 Online.  The problem began in the afternoon around 4pm and has gradually worsened to a point the game server delared my down load and up load speed is unreasonably low that it won't let me on.   I can get internet connection doing text related work.  But gaming or video streaming is not happening right now.

The www.speedtest.net result from the home PC shows 1.56mbps download average speed while the internet connetion test via PS3 shows 485kbps download and 420kb upload speed.  The PS3 was hard wired to the modem earlier in June and this is just not acceptable.  In the last hour 10pm to 11pm i was disconnected from PS3 network and the game server 5 times with lags and slow response time before i get disconneced.

Can you see if there is any issue with the traffic or signals coming into my home?  Thank you.

MediacomBill

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 07:55:54 AM »
I am sorry you are having this problem. I will check both your modem and area signals.

hkgal72

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 11:18:20 PM »
The connection is bad again tonight starting from 8pm.   I am unable to do online gaming via PS3 online and am getting lags and disconnection because of insufficient download and upload speed.   We even stopped all video streaming and other internet activities, and the hard wired PS3 is still having problems getting a stable connection.  I did a speedtest.net test just now and it showed at 1.3mbps download and 0.85 upload speed.  This is very poor compared to other cable internet services.   This is getting very frustrating.  Can you please see what is wrong and if I should seek other internet carrier in order to be able to do multi-media online?  Thank you.

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 07:21:48 AM »
We are still seeing intermittent drops with the return SNR and return power levels from your modem. If it's alright with you, we would like to set up a service call to have a tech check all of the connections at the house.

hkgal72

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 05:48:23 PM »
That will be great.  Let me know who to private message to set up the service visit.  Thanks!

MediacomTom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 06:31:05 PM »
I will send you a PM on this in just a moment.

hkgal72

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 08:05:20 PM »
Looks like the problem is extremely noticeable every night beginning at around 7pm to 8pm.   Hopefully they can figure it out.  It just seems odd the signals need to be checked or the cable from outside the house needs to be looked at frequently.  Thanks for looking into this.

MediacomTom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 08:43:07 PM »
No problem. Once the tech looks into it he should be able to narrow it down and resolve it. If you need anything further just let us know.

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 07:53:20 AM »
hkgal72 - There was a node split done last night. Please keep an eye on the connection and if you have any more issues let us know.