Author Topic: compatible modems with wireless routers  (Read 4402 times)

jcridland

• View Profile
compatible modems with wireless routers
« on: June 20, 2011, 09:39:45 PM »
I just signed up for mediacom and decided to forego the rental for a modem. Heres my question: what modems are compatible with mediacom internet??? I know its a DOCSIS but other than that I have no clue.  My husband wants a n router that requires WEP key. We dont want everyone on our network since we have multiple laptops, media center and printer. We would also like a modem that can go either DSL or cable since right now Im on DSL and the old modem is dying and I want one that is compatible with all systems. If thats even available.  We found a Netgear N600 ADSL2+ but it dont seem compatible. HELP! Thanks

MediacomTom

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: compatible modems with wireless routers
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 09:50:39 PM »
DSL and Cable modems are too different to be interchangeable. I have not seen this personally nor do I know if that is even possible to have both capabilities.

We support most if not all Docsis 2.0 Cable Modems. Routers(not a Hub or Switch) should be compatible with all Ethernet connections, both cable and DSL modems alike.

jcridland

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 09:52:46 PM »
Ok so I need a DOCSIS 2.0 not a 3.0? Is there no modem that is also a router for wireless networking that you know of? I didnt realize this was going to be so difficult.

MediacomTom

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 09:57:52 PM »
You may be able to find one easier for Docsis 2.0, but I only know of a few Netgears and even some SMC brands that do both modem/router combos offhand.

Docsis 3.0 is very limited at this time. The only supported models are the Cisco DPC3000 and the Cisco DPC3825. The 3825 model is the wireless version of the 2, but I have not seen many of them purchasable yet. I have seen a few in online markets sites, but nothing I would feel secure buying through yet.

jcridland

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 10:41:43 PM »
Thanks for all your help I do appreciate it. We just found this one after extensive research.  Its backwards compatible to DOCSIS 1.1 and 2.0 systems plus its also 3.0 compatible for when if ever its upgraded.

Motorola SBG6580 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme Broadband Cable Modem Gateway

If you could give me your thoughts I would appreciate it. Thanks

MediacomChrisL

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 08:05:23 AM »
I don't have any experience with the 6500 series Motorola modems personally.

Chris