Author Topic: List of approved cable modems?  (Read 2188 times)

slimjim010

• View Profile
List of approved cable modems?
« on: May 16, 2011, 11:52:12 PM »
First off, I didn't see any place to search these forums, did I just overlook it?  If not, a Sticky Topic on this subject would probably be helpful, as I would think this is a regularly visited topic.

Is there a list of approved/disapproved cable modems for those of us wishing to purchase our own modems?
Looking back a couple weeks, I found this post [1] stating that there is not a list.  Is there a chance of one being compiled, or a designated topic (still hinting at that Sticky...) where users can post their experiences with different models?

In the previously mentioned post [1], it is mentioned that there are some Cisco DOCSIS 3.0 modems that are supported, but no specific models listed.  Looking back about a month, I found this post [2] stating that the Ultra 50 package utilizes DOCSIS 3.0 and there are only a couple supported modems, but still no specific models are listed.  Are there plans to expand the number of supported models utilizing DOCSIS 3.0 in the very-near future?

Since I currently only have the Mediacom Online package, I don't necessarily need a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, but if I purchase one that is backwards-compatible to DOCSIS 2.0, should I be okay?

Finally, what are the requirements for provisioning a customer-owned modem?  According to post [2], we can do this ourselves online if we have our account number and our registration number (last 9-digits of account).  Is that it?

[1] http://mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/forum/index.php?topic=1865.0
[2] http://mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/forum/index.php?topic=1748.0

Thanks,
slim

MediacomBill

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: List of approved cable modems?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 06:54:04 AM »
I would stay away from Docsis 3 modems at this time. They do not work well with Docsis 2 service.  Even if they claim to be backwards compatible.
Approved modems are as follows:
  3com
  Ambit
  Arris
  Belkin
  Com21
  D-Link
  Linksys
  Motorola
  Netgear
  RCA
  Scientific Atlanta
  SMC
  Toshiba
  Zoom

Other than the account # and registration # you may be asked for a tech #. If so just enter all 9's to fill the field.