Author Topic: Notification of important change in service?  (Read 3181 times)

jlsoaz

• View Profile
Notification of important change in service?
« on: August 19, 2013, 08:42:45 AM »
I briefly saw a screen pop up in my browser.  It said Mediacom was making "important" (their word) changes in my service and I should read it somewhere and click to acknowledge.  I did not see anything to read, and clicked to acknowledge.

What are the changes?  Where has Mediacom made the announcement clearly available in a more permanent way, such as through a web link or email, so that we customers do not have to go through now-you-see-it, now-you don't?

Thanks,

jl
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 08:44:48 AM by jlsoaz »

MediacomDrew

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Notification of important change in service?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 08:53:26 AM »
This was most likely a pop up concerning the system-wide transition to usage based billing.  A "details" button should have been available for more information; however, I have copied the details here:

--------------------------------------------------------

"We are writing to inform you about changes Mediacom is making to its Internet terms of service. Although these changes won’t affect the way about 98% of our customers use the Internet or how much the service costs, we want you to understand the changes and tell you how to see if they will affect you.

Effective 9/7/2013, your monthly data usage allowance will be 250GB. The changes will only affect you if you use more than 250GB during your monthly billing cycle. Mediacom's Always Faster Internet customers' median monthly data usage is currently under 14 GB per month. You can easily check to see how much data you have used by going to »mediacomtoday.com/usagemeter. Your login credentials are your Mediacom email address and password. If you use less than 250GB, these changes won’t affect you unless you increase your usage.

For your convenience, we will notify you if you are approaching your usage allowance at 75%, 85% and 95% and when you have exceeded it. If you exceed your allowance during a monthly billing cycle, you will automatically be billed for additional above-allowance usage in 50 GB blocks at $10 per block.

You can control the amount of data you use by how you use your service. The amount of data you use is largely impacted by your online activities, not just the amount of time you spend online. For example, you could spend hours on Facebook®, checking e-mails, or surfing the Web, and use less than 1 GB of data. On the other hand, you could spend 30 minutes downloading a movie and use 2 GB. Put simply, it's what you do with the Internet that affects your usage, not the time you spend on it.

If you want to have a higher data allowance, the Mediacom Online service plans are now scaled for various levels of use, ranging from lower cost options with slower speeds and smaller data usage allowances (e.g., 150 GB) for the light users of the Internet, to premium service levels with very fast speeds and data usage allowances of 350 GB and 999 GB.

If you want to change your level of service, if you are concerned about these changes or want to cancel your service, please call us at 855-330-6918 or visit us online at »mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport. By continuing to use the service, you agree to these changes.

We appreciate your business, and thank you for choosing Mediacom to be your Internet service provider."

This is a basic copy of the notice details, as the usage allowance differs depending on the subscribed level of service.  More information on this policy can be found here: http://mediacomcable.com/site/legal_additional_terms_text.html.  This policy has applied to to new customers and those making changes to internet services since August 2012 and a transition is being made to encompass all internet accounts system wide, effective Sept. 7, 2013.

jlsoaz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 07:25:19 PM »
Hi Drew, I suspect a details button was available, but I was in a rush and I hit whatever button was right in front of me and away it went.  What they really need to do, if they haven't, is send out an email and post an easily accessible link.

I suspect I'll be way up there on the GB usage, since I stream a lot of video via Roku.  I always wished they'd (the cable industry in general, not Mediacom specifically) would just start charging appropriately and stop complaining about high-GB users as though there was something illicit about high data usage.   We'll see if Mediacom's rates seem fair or if I will need to quit and go back to DSL.

Thanks for posting the info.

This was most likely a pop up concerning the system-wide transition to usage based billing.  A "details" button should have been available for more information; however, I have copied the details here:

"We are writing to inform you about changes Mediacom is making to its Internet terms of service. Although these changes won’t affect the way about 98% of our customers use the Internet or how much the service costs, we want you to understand the changes and tell you how to see if they will affect you.

Effective 9/7/2013, your monthly data usage allowance will be 250GB. The changes will only affect you if you use more than 250GB during your monthly billing cycle. Mediacom's Always Faster Internet customers' median monthly data usage is currently under 14 GB per month. You can easily check to see how much data you have used by going to »mediacomtoday.com/usagemeter. Your login credentials are your Mediacom email address and password. If you use less than 250GB, these changes won’t affect you unless you increase your usage.

For your convenience, we will notify you if you are approaching your usage allowance at 75%, 85% and 95% and when you have exceeded it. If you exceed your allowance during a monthly billing cycle, you will automatically be billed for additional above-allowance usage in 50 GB blocks at $10 per block.

You can control the amount of data you use by how you use your service. The amount of data you use is largely impacted by your online activities, not just the amount of time you spend online. For example, you could spend hours on Facebook®, checking e-mails, or surfing the Web, and use less than 1 GB of data. On the other hand, you could spend 30 minutes downloading a movie and use 2 GB. Put simply, it's what you do with the Internet that affects your usage, not the time you spend on it.

If you want to have a higher data allowance, the Mediacom Online service plans are now scaled for various levels of use, ranging from lower cost options with slower speeds and smaller data usage allowances (e.g., 150 GB) for the light users of the Internet, to premium service levels with very fast speeds and data usage allowances of 350 GB and 999 GB.

If you want to change your level of service, if you are concerned about these changes or want to cancel your service, please call us at 855-330-6918 or visit us online at »mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport. By continuing to use the service, you agree to these changes.

We appreciate your business, and thank you for choosing Mediacom to be your Internet service provider."

This is a basic copy of the notice details, as the usage allowance differs depending on the subscribed level of service.  More information on this policy can be found here: http://mediacomcable.com/site/legal_additional_terms_text.html.  This policy has applied to to new customers and those making changes to internet services since August 2012 and a transition is being made to encompass all internet accounts system wide, effective Sept. 7, 2013.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 07:52:14 PM by jlsoaz »

MediacomJustin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 07:34:18 PM »
Another method Mediacom is using to get this information out is to send it via email.  But if you do not have a Mediacom email associated with your account or an email address on your account then we would not have a place to send it.  You're welcome for the info and if you've got any other questions definitely let us know.

jlsoaz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 07:51:06 PM »
Addendum:

I could have sworn the other day that I checked this discussion and there was a link provided to check our usage, but I don't see it here now.  Maybe I am just missing something, or maybe I tried to log in off the popup and forgot about it.

I got on the phone to Mediacom support and got the link to check our usage.  Why not provide it at our regular account login?  I don't know.  The link is here:

http://mediacomtoday.com/usagemeter/

The login is different than logging in to my Mediacom account and I had little idea how to do it.  Fortunately, the CS agent was able to just reset the password and I got in.  Also, fortunately, I just a few days ago found out my Mediacom email address, which I have never used, nor intended to use, but needed it to set up a new modem.

From there I was able to see my usage for this month and last month.  The advertised 3 months trailing did not work.  I could only see last month.

As to my usage it is for now below the cap, so I should be ok (though I was traveling part of last month, so maybe I should multiply by 2?)

I'd say that while I support Mediacom's decision to start billing in this way, but if they really want to bill for usage, they should in my view make it completely easy and do-able for users to find their usage data so that they can make adjustments, if they want, to avoid higher fees. This means clearing up any bugs as to 3 months trailing data, and in my view in general this means not playing games as to passwords and logins and websites and notifications.  For example, I was told that Mediacom has sent out snail mail about this change in addition to the popup.  That sounds like a decent idea (it's an important change) but how about an email to my personal address that I use (which they check virtually every time I call, as though they can't figure out how to save it... why not just use it?.... they do use it I think to send some things....).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 07:54:54 PM by jlsoaz »

MediacomJustin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 07:58:30 PM »
That's correct the login for the usage meter is your Mediacom email address and password.  Which is not the case for www.mediacomcable.com where you would check your billing information and make some changes to your account. 

I'm happy the customer service representative was able to get that taken care of for you and help you out.  Once everything is setup for you it's a relatively low maintenance process so it should be easier for you moving forward. 

Currently the 3 month usage report is not available.  This is due to the new processes being pushed through, as time goes on and in about 2 months time you should be able to view the past 3 months as well as current usage.

jlsoaz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 04:09:24 AM »
That's correct the login for the usage meter is your Mediacom email address and password.  Which is not the case for www.mediacomcable.com where you would check your billing information and make some changes to your account.

Hi Justin - is there any reason for this?  I think that what it accomplishes is making our usage information less transparent.  I'm sure Mediacom would say it doesn't want that, but in my view that's what they are accomplishing.

I'm happy the customer service representative was able to get that taken care of for you and help you out.  Once everything is setup for you it's a relatively low maintenance process so it should be easier for you moving forward. 

Currently the 3 month usage report is not available.  This is due to the new processes being pushed through, as time goes on and in about 2 months time you should be able to view the past 3 months as well as current usage.

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 06:28:35 AM »
The usage meter is hosted internally while the billing website externally. They currently use seperate logins but this is something we are looking to integrate in the future.

jlsoaz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 09:56:43 AM »
The usage meter is hosted internally while the billing website externally. They currently use seperate logins but this is something we are looking to integrate in the future.

Thanks,

At a quick check, it looks to me that they don't even choose to make internet pricing fully clear and immediately accessible on the billing website (also known as the website we paying customers all know to access for information), so I won't hold my breath about Mediacom having a capable person integrate the usage information into that website.

MediacomDallas

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 10:17:19 AM »
Thanks for your feedback.

jlsoaz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 12:57:41 AM »
Another method Mediacom is using to get this information out is to send it via email.  But if you do not have a Mediacom email associated with your account or an email address on your account then we would not have a place to send it.  You're welcome for the info and if you've got any other questions definitely let us know.

Please note - Mediacom does have an email address on file for me and they use it all the time to send me my statements. 
However, I received nothing regarding any notification.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 01:26:56 AM by jlsoaz »

MediacomTommyF

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 08:21:55 AM »
I am showing that we have your email address on file, and it can be used if you do not acknowledge an alert.

Tommy