Author Topic: Monthly Usage Allowance  (Read 687 times)

Ballador

• View Profile
Monthly Usage Allowance
« on: April 28, 2013, 10:18:13 AM »
I have to say, until I received this notice, I was fairly happy with my internet service from Mediacom.  I have been experiencing a lot of issues with my Scientific Atlanta modem (as in it locks up and I had to unplug the power and reboot the modem 4-8 times per day to get back online).  I called support on Tuesday, and they shipped me out a new modem.  Well, yesterday, I received a new Cisco DCP3925, and it is simply fantastic.

However, in the box was a piece of paper explaining some Additional Terms and Conditions - Monthly Usage Allowance which were apparently effective on August 1st, 2012.  Now, I imagine this wasn't the first notification of this change, they probably put copies of this form into the bill each month.  But I don't read through every single page of my bill each month, as they are delivered digitally.  Plus, I usually only really check the summary page, and make my payment online accordingly.  Most months, I don't even bother opening the bill itself, I just make the payment online. 

That being said, I am honestly disturbed by Mediacom's lack of disclosure on our account pages.  It would be prudent, in the event of drastically changing a customer's user agreement and placing a limit on their plan, to maybe have a pop up window when they access their My Account page, or maybe when they are paying their bill.  It would be smart to have it displayed more prominently for existing customers, because I know I for one don't go looking at the offerings on their main site (as those prices are for new customers only).

Above everything else, though, is the fact that from the My Account page, I cannot actually see a METER of what I have consumed for this month.  Sure, I can see my phone usage details, but I cannot see in a graph or chart depicting what I have used for the month, nor what my limit actually is.  How can Mediacom expect customers to track where they are for the month if they don't provide us with tools on their website??!!  This is honeslty the most upset I have been with Mediacom in 7 years of service.  The fact that they changed existing customers without more notification is disturbing enough, but that after making the change, they didn't place a clear and easy to understand graph on our billing page to show us our usage is appauling. 

Up until now, I was perfectly happy with my Mediacom Internet service.  But after finding all this out in the last two days, I don't think I can continue to support this company.  Verizon Wireless did this same type of thing, changing all their plans to have limited data.  But when it came to existing customers that were grandfathered in with unlimited data plans, they didn't arbitrarily change those customers' contracts to limited.  I still have my Verizon Wireless unlimited data plan, and I don't plan on allowing Verizon to change that.  Now that Mediacom has decided to change the terms of my service, I will have to start looking for alternative service providers. 

I cannot express how disappointed I am with Mediacom because of this.  Mediacom, you need to IMMEDIATELY place a graph or chart or some other sort of display on our My Account pages that allows us to see where our usage is at for the month.

MediacomDallas

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Monthly Usage Allowance
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 10:55:39 AM »
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. If you connected internet service before August 1st, 2012, you are grandfathered in to the old acceptable use policy that did not included usage based billing. If you made a change to your internet service after that point, you would be placed under the new data allowance policy and the representative that made that change should have explained it to you. You can view your monthly usage on this page here:

http://mediacomtoday.com/usagemeter/

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Thanks,
Dallas

Ballador

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 04:01:26 PM »
First of all, thank you for the very prompt response! 

And thank you for letting me know where that meter is.  It's a shame that they didn't place it on the My Account page when you go to pay your bill.  I haven't logged into that Mediacom Today page in years, so I wouldn't have gone there looking for it.  Also, you say that if I haven't changed anything about my plan since August 1st, 2012, which I haven't, I should be grandfathered into my unlimited data plan.  But when I look at this meter on my Mediacom Today page, it shows I have a 250 GB limit.  When I look at my bill, it just says Mediacom Online, not Launch, Prime, or Ultra.  So is this just a limitation of the meter?  Will it always show 250 GB limit for the people that really don't have a limit on their accounts?  Thank you for the clarifications!

MediacomMichael

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 04:10:42 PM »
There has always been an unenforced allowance of 250 GB for the old plans.

This is why you see this on the meter. However, at this time its unenforced. Please let me know if you need further clarification.

kshimp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 12:25:06 PM »
I'm curious about this as well because I just received a notification about my usage since I often stream Netflix and I was under the assumption that I was under a grandfathered plan.  I believe I made a post about it a few months ago here and specifically asked if removing my cable service would affect my internet plan and I was told no at the time.  So what happens if I go over? Am I still billed for another block of 50GB and if so how much is that since I couldn't even find a price anywhere?

MediacomTim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 12:32:43 PM »
kshimp, I am showing that you agreed to a new Internet contract on 11/3/12. Because of this, you are on the new Data Allowances that started on 8/1/12. To see which allowance you are on, you can go here: http://mediacomcable.com/site/internet.html