Author Topic: Internet Connection Dropping - Directv Genie  (Read 4155 times)

JHenningsen

• View Profile
Internet Connection Dropping - Directv Genie
« on: January 13, 2013, 05:14:45 PM »
Is there any conflict with the DirecTV genie that would cause the internet to drop?

We have Mediacom cable phone / internet & have had DirecTV without issue for years.

Just switched to DirecTV's Genie system.    Now the Internet is dropping.    Having Connection errors with PS3 & XBOX.   cannot stay connected.

Or is there possibly an issue with the Mediacom Internet service int eh cedar rapids Iowa Area?

Thanks.

MediacomMichael

• Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Connection Dropping - Directv Genie
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 05:16:20 PM »
I will look into this for you. Please send me a personal message with your account or phone number.

MediacomMichael

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 05:27:14 PM »
Thank you.

I show no problems in the area that will cause this to happen. When the connection drops, what are the lights on the modem doing?

Xerces

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 05:28:35 PM »
Is there any conflict with the DirecTV genie that would cause the internet to drop?

We have Mediacom cable phone / internet & have had DirecTV without issue for years.

Just switched to DirecTV's Genie system.    Now the Internet is dropping.    Having Connection errors with PS3 & XBOX.   cannot stay connected.

Or is there possibly an issue with the Mediacom Internet service int eh cedar rapids Iowa Area?

Thanks.

Might want to make UPnP is enabled in your modem. Does the modem directly connect to the genie, or through a router?
"I fear the day when the technology overlaps with our humanity. The world will only have a generation of idiots" - Einstein

JHenningsen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 05:41:55 PM »
Our Modem is the stock ARRIS model that came with the mediacom set up.

Not sure how to adjust anything on it.

The cable Modem connects to our wireless Netgear WDR4500 N900 Wireless  router.    The router is then connected directly  to our PS3, Wirelessly through our XBox.   

As best I can tell the DirecTV system is no longer directly connected to our network.    Whereas a DVR once was directly connected, now all of them have coaxial cable splitter.   One split goes into the cable coaxil connector on the DirecTV receiver, one split is now a CAT5 cable and connects into the ethernet port in the receiver - as if the DirecTV internet connection is now provided directly via the satellite dish...I know I did not give the installer our PW for our wireless and I cannot find a wired connection.

Could the possibly something set wrong on our Netgear Route...it's new as well.  So maybe it needs a different setting?

MediacomMichael

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 05:48:36 PM »
The modem you have you're unable to adjust the settings on it.

Once the disconnect happens again please look at the lights on your modem. I show no evidence your modem is disconnecting.

There may be a setting wrong on your router. If the direct TV equipment requires port-forwarding ect ect. You would need to contact Direct TV/Netgear about these settings.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 05:50:26 PM by MediacomMichael »

JHenningsen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 06:05:35 PM »
Ok - will do.

However,  could you let me know if you recommend a "better / faster"  downdload / upload speed and newer modem if we intend to have multiple gaming systems / pc connections?

thanks,

MediacomMichael

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 06:17:57 PM »
I will send you a personal message with more information.